6. expect the unexpected

Lightning is the only source of light for miles. It illuminates my surroundings for a split second and I realize I am standing in the middle of a solemn nothingness. A dark plain stretches onward for as far as I can see. A feeling of despair washes over me as I suddenly feel, impossibly alone. 

Out of no where I hear somebody scream. "Emma!" The voice calls out, sounding like they are in need of help. I turn in every direction, trying to pinpoint the voice. Nothing. I see nothing. "There's no where to run to now." I hear somebody say from directly behind me. I gasp and rapidly turn around. At first all I see is darkness, then another flash of lightning reveals a hooded figure standing in front of me. An evil smirk spreads across his face. He holds his wand up and points it to my chest. Before I can react, I wake up. I stifle a scream as I open my eyes. A minimal amount of light is cast down into the room from the sun, above the black lake. 

It was just a dream, I realize as I notice it is morning. All around me, the girls are starting to get ready for the first day of class. "Oh good, you're up." Capri says. I yawn, as I tiredly stretch my arms. I finally tumble out of bed and begin to get dressed. Another thing I would have to adjust to would be wearing a uniform. Typically, I wore sweatpants to school everyday back in California. In a way I was almost glad we had to wear uniforms. Most of my clothes got blown up by that death eater. I was still pissed about that. 

I pull on a pair of black tights, along with a matching pleated skirt. I then throw on a crisp white shirt, with a gray sweater over top, and finish off with the Slytherin tie. I slip into a pair of Doc Martens I brought from back home. I study myself in the full body mirror in the bathroom. The uniform actually didn't look too bad. I smirk as I begin to brush out my long brown hair. 

Once we are all ready, we make our way to the great hall and the second we enter through the doors, laughter, chatter, and the scent of a delicious breakfast fills the air. We take a seat at the Slytherin table. I pile my plate full of food.

"Emma, what's your first class?" Capri asks.

"Potions." I answer. They all smile. "We have potions too!" I smile back, "Thank goodness." I say.  Too bad I'll be stuck with Malfoy in ALL my classes. 

Finally, the time comes to head to class. I frown, unprepared to spend more time with Malfoy. We enter into the large cold room. Hermione and Ginny are already gathered around a small table. "Emma!" Hermione smiles. Ginny also waves. "Hey guys!" I exclaim and walk over to them. "Sure you still want to be friends with a Slytherin?" I joke. Hermione rolls her eyes. "Don't be silly, of course!" She says. "I guess you're alright." Ginny also jokes. I laugh. 

 "Glad to hear it. Well anyways, I'm glad I have a class with you guys." I smile before I turn away. The second I do, I nearly run straight into Malfoy. He abruptly stops. "Watch it, Ashwood." He sneers. He then looks up to see who I was talking to. His face twists into a look of disgust.

"Looks like magic won't be the only thing I have to teach you. Slytherin's dont mix well with Gryffindor's." He nods to Hermione and Ginny. I turn back and give them an apologetic look. 

"I think I can decide who I want to be friends with. Thanks though." I snap before I brush past him as I join Capri, Arden, and Daphne at a table. "You're making friends fast." Arden smirks as she nods towards Ginny and Hermione. I laugh before remembering what Malfoy said. "Do Slytherin and Gryffindor's really not mix well?" 

"Well they're our rival house, but we have no problem with them. The three of us aren't your stereotypical Slytherin." Capri says. Arden and Daphne agree. "I've realized." I giggle. Before anyone can say anything else, a round man wearing velvet robes walks to the front of the classroom. "Welcome students, glad to see those of you who returned this year." He smiles. "And some new faces as well." He says, and nearly every student in the class looks at me. I can feel a light blush creep onto my cheeks.