61. meaningless

"This is what you needed to discuss?" I snap, shooting him an impressed look. 

"You know," he begins, sitting up, "he's like you in that sense," He says. 

"An idiot?" 

"Absolutely," He breathes out, eyes trailing over me. I let out a deep sigh as my head drops to the ground. "Look, I know. You don't need to keep telling me," I mutter. He stands up suddenly from the bed and lets out a humorless laugh. "Oh but I do Ashwood. Because maybe if I say it enough, something will change, and you will stop doing things to get you in trouble," He says, and suddenly he is inches away from me. 

"It's not like I'm trying to constantly be getting into trouble!" I exclaim. He tilts his head and stares at me with a curious glance. "Really? Because the amount of your messes I've had to clean up has become impressive," He snaps. 

"Quit that!" I snap back. "What?" He fires out, and the tension in the room is rapidly growing. "Quit acting like you are perfect! You should know better than anyone about mistakes! Are you forgetting about your past? Are you forgetting about this-" I cry out and impulsively grab his left forearm, I yank his sleeve up with force so that it's up to his elbow. The sinister black ink on his forearm sticks out like a sore thumb. 

He stares at me with avid eyes for less than a second before he tears away his arm and grabs onto both my wrists with a painful grip. He yanks me into him, impossibly close. His hot breath hits my neck and I can feel the rapid rise and fall of his chest, against my own. 

"Don't you dare touch me like that, and don't ever bring up my past like that. You know nothing, Ashwood. The darkness I have seen would destroy you," He whispers deeply. My breath is caught in my throat, and I no longer know how to breathe. 

I blink hard and try to ignore his intriguing scent, and the heat of his body hovering over me. "Why can't you just be my friend for once?" I finally say. I whisper these words in a small, broken voice. 

His grip on me loosens, his stare, which is as sharp as a knife, manages to soften. He lets go of me and takes a step back. "You and I, we aren't friends Ashwood. We can't ever be friends," He says. 

"Why not?!" I exclaim, taking a step towards him. 

"You just don't understand!" He says. 

"You're right! I don't understand. I don't understand why the one person that I need, leaves me in the dust time after time. You are the only one who knows and understands what I have been dealing with in the past few months!" I am almost shouting at this point. Surprise fills his eyes.  "I'm not asking you to pity me, I'm just asking you to be there for me Draco," I add, my voice quiet, and tears pricking the back of my eyes for some unknown reason. 

"I- I can't," He breathes out, his eyes are focused on the ground. 

"Why not?" I shout slamming my fists into his chest out of pure frustration. He takes hold of my hands, forcing me to stop. "You don't want to be close to me," He says. I look at him with confused eyes. "You're not making any sense," I tell him. 

He pulls away and begins walking past me. "I need you to understand one thing and one thing only," he begins, raising his voice. "When people get close to me, they get hurt," He says. 

"Why do you assume you're going to hurt me?" I exclaim. 

"Haven't I already?" He shouts. 

"Yes! By pushing me away!" I cry out. "It's for your own good! It's better if you stay far away," His hair is a mess, and he's breathing hard. "Maybe I don't want to stay far away, did you ever think of that?" I say, lowering my tone and taking a couple of steps towards him.