11. losing control

In the midst of a conversation with Capri, I feel somebody tap on my shoulder lightly. I turn around to come face to face with Cole Remington. I immediately take a large step back. "What do you want?" I snarl viciously. I feel a bitter taste in my mouth at the mere sight of him.

He smirks. "Am I not allowed to talk to the birthday girl?" He frowns. "Actually, no sorry." Capri cuts in. He scowls at her. "I wasn't talking to you Mason." He says, addressing her by her last name. "Seriously, can I help you or something?" I demand impatiently. He sighs. "Can I talk to you Emma? Please?" He pleads. "About what?" I question. His eyes flick between Capri and I. "I was hoping I could talk to you privately?" He adds. "You're dreaming if you think I'm leaving her alone with you." Capri defends.

I lightly laugh as I turn towards her. "Don't worry, I can handle him. Besides he can't do much in a room full of people." I say. It certainly didn't stop him last time, but now I know his motives. She rolls her eyes. "Okay, but no more than 5 minutes." She says. I laugh. "Ok, mom." I say jokingly, before turning back to Cole.

"You don't look like you want to kill me any longer." I mention to him. "Yet you still look like you want to hit me with the closest object." He says. "Right you are." I say. He smirks. "So what do you want?" I snap. "I wanted to apologize." He sighs. "I was out of place. Completely out of place actually. I'm just not used to rejection." He says. I scoff. "Sorry not every girl worships you." I say. He scowls at me. "I'm trying here Emma." He says.

I laugh. "You think you can just apologize and I'll pretend like nothing happened? You tried to take advantage of me, after using a stunning spell on me." I remind him, a feeling of disgust starting to rise from the pit of my stomach, reminding me of that evening a few weeks ago. "Look, I tried apologizing which is something I don't usually do, besides Blaise even has me benched for most of practice now because he heard about what happened." He says. Unbelievable. "So you're only apologizing to get back in good graces with Blaise." I question. "Well what else was I supposed to do?" He says stupidly. It takes everything in me not to throw a solid punch at him right then, and there. I take a deep breath. "You're so full of shit." I say before attempting to turn away.

Before I can get very far he snatches my wrist tightly, pulling me back around. "Let go." I say through clenched teeth. He shakes his head furiously. "You're making a mistake." He fumes. I try to escape his iron grip, but it's no use. It automatically brings me back to that night that I was helpless against him. Sure, it wasn't the most traumatic thing in the world, but it disgusted me to the core, and his touch brings those feelings flooding back.

"The only mistake was when I decided to waste my time on this conversation." I sneer. His hold only grows tighter. "You're a fucking slut." He says, attempting to insult me, but his words only make me angrier. "Let her go." Draco Malfoy suddenly says from behind me. I would know that demanding voice from anywhere. Sure enough, a split second later, I am released from his grip. I quickly turn around. "Stop, I have this under control." I say in a low voice. "Yeah? Sure looked like it." He says sarcastically as he nods his head towards Cole.

"Here to save the day again Malfoy?" Cole spits. "Or are you just trying to make up for not being able to save your Daddy?" He then adds dangerously. It all happens so fast. It's as if his words flip a switch inside of Malfoy. It feels as if I watch the whole situation in slow motion. While he lunges at Cole, my instincts kick in and I jump in as fast as I can. Using all my strength, I push back against him, forcing him away from Cole. I grip both of his arms, pinning them down by his sides. His chest heaves up and down rapidly as he tries to shove me off. However, I refuse to move.

"Let go of me." He fumes through clenched teeth. "Control yourself!" I say harshly. "What's wrong Malfoy? Did I strike a nerve or something?" Cole smirks. "Do you have a death wish?" I shout over my shoulder. By now, everyone's attention is on us. Malfoy attempts to go at him again but thank goodness for Blaise Zaibini. Blaise grabs onto Malfoy at the last second and yanks him back. I place both hands on Draco's strong chest, shoving him forcefully away from Cole.