46. rage

I never saw myself as the type to be sent into a fit of rage by the words of another. But then again, I never had killers whispering vicious words into my ears while it felt like the world was slowly collapsing around me. 

Everything was swiftly coming undone, myself included. 

I stare into the relentless eyes of Cole Remington before I release the breath I was holding in. And with that, goes all the built-up energy, the rage that had been stored inside me beginning the moment I locked eyes with the Death Eater. 

I don't speak, I only use my hands to shove him off of me, and the second I do, it's like a flood of energy has been released from my own two hands. My rage has broken the floodgates holding in all the power. He goes reeling backward into the air, crashing down on a table that has yet to be turned over like the others. 

But that's not even the worst of it. Whatever energy I have just released seems to affect Malfoy as well as Ron and Harry who have just rushed into the room, seconds before. It's like shockwaves of my own terrifying power is sent out in every direction. Malfoy is thrown to the ground, hitting it hard. Ron and Harry are pitched into the wall behind them, and I stand at the center of it all, staring at my hands in horror as my chest heaves up and down. 

I can hardly breathe. Hardly think. I try to wrap around what I have just done. Not only have I lost control on Cole, but it affected my friends too. I turn around, looking at the room in complete dismay. The tables and chairs that were surrounding me only seconds ago have been propelled to far ends of the room. I'm panicked, I'm terrified, I'm disgusted. 

"Oh no. No, no, no. Oh God," I breathe out in one strangled breath. 

I look right at Ron and Harry, they seem fine, unharmed, but they look at me in complete surprise, like they're suddenly afraid of me. I don't blame them. I'm afraid of myself. My heart then lurches as I look to Malfoy. He slowly brings himself to a standing position, looking at me all the same. Like he's startled, shaken by the turmoil I have just barely caused. 

I hold onto that stare, I claw at it, grasp at that platinum gaze. Waiting for him to shout at me, to get mad, to tell me to control myself. But what is truly terrifying, is the fact that he says nothing. The fact that he just continues to stare at me in complete disbelief. Because Cole was right, I am hurting the people around me, I just did. 

I want to say something, I want him to say something, I want Ron and Harry to speak. Anything to break this painful silence. But my words have been ripped right out of my throat and I'm not sure what to do. 

"Emma!" Harry abruptly gasps out. I make the mistake of spinning right on my heel, turning towards him, just to be hit right in the chest seconds later by a burst of red light. I'm launched backward instantly, thrown to the ground as I land hard, crashing into the debris of chairs and tables. 

What feels like the arm of a chair jabs right into my back, and I gasp out in pain. Everything aches as I slowly try to inhale. The first breath of air I take feels like a stab wound as I look right in front of me at Cole. He stands across the room, recovered from my explosion, blood running down his forehead and arm, as he vengefully clutches his wand. And it's pointed right at me. 

"Ashwood!" Malfoy shouts, rushing to my side. Remington fires a spell at him, but he blocks it, jumping in front of me as he falls into a battle with Cole. He's protecting me. 

Get up. 

I try to move. 

Get the hell up now. 

I push myself up onto my elbows, slowly rising. Every part of me aches. My head's pounding, my back is throbbing. My vision is blurry as I sit up. A sharp, searing pain spikes at the back of my head. I wince in pain, letting out a small whimper as I force myself to a standing position.