Chapter 21: Together

"If we're not back in a week, assume the worst." Grian said, addressing Ex.

Ex nodded. "Good luck."

Grian took a deep breath. Taurtis stood next to him, wearing his sweater. They had come up with an escape plan and everything, the main thing to focus on was to survive.

Holding Taurtis' hand, Grian jumped through the portal in front of him.

Singleplayer worlds didn't ever have server islands, there was no need.

________________

The portal dumped them exactly where they wanted to be.

Just outside Sam's apartment.

"Good luck Grian, I've got your back, okay?" Taurtis reassured him.

Grian nodded. "I can do this. Let's just get it over with."

"Taurtis? Grian? Oh what a lovely coincidence!"

________________

Xisuma's attempt with communicating with the void was to no avail, and by the time he'd given up, most everyone had gathered in the bunker.

Doc and Bdubs were sitting in a corner as Doc fussed over the permanent burn marks Bdubs now possessed. Stress was aiding him as Bdubs complained that he was fine. Keralis watched worriedly from a few feet away.

Etho, Beef, and Jevin were chatting quietly in another area.

False was positioned by the door, keeping an eye out for intruders.

xB and Hypno were discussing the corruption with Cub, xB and Cub comparing notes.

Grumbot and Mumbo were sorting out their feelings.

Iskall was doing a headcount. "That's almost everyone, we're missing Joe, Cleo-"

"And Tango and Impy!" Zed said worriedly. He'd been pacing for the last half an hour, keeping near the security button. "Oh I hope they're okay. What if they got caught!?"

Xisuma led Zed over to where TFC was reading a book. TFC took the cue and pulled Zed into a hug, comforting the small inventor.

Then False piped up. "It's Cleo. She's alone, and looks normal. Joe isn't with her though. Oh! She's wounded!"

"Well let her in then!" Iskall said, making his way over.

False opened the door, Cleo limping inside.

"There was a fight, Joe went back for Impulse and Tango." Cleo explained.

Stress jumped up and ran over. "That looks bad love, let's get that patched up."

Cleo winced as she sat down, Stress fretting over her. "Hels had impulse cornered, and Tango got his legs caught under some rubble. I wanted to help but Joe insisted, and you know how convincing he can be."

Almost on cue, a message entered the chat.

Helsknight was slain by Iron Golem whilst fighting Joehillssays

"Way to go Joe!" Zed cheered.

Cleo gave a sigh of relief. "Thank the heavens, let's hope he gets the two back safe."

"I'll go out and help, do you know his coords?" Iskalla sked.

"The fight's over by that half-finished cliff in the shopping district."

Iskall nodded. "False, if I don't knock exactly four times when I get back, assume I'm infected."

"Gotcha."

____________________

Everything looked fuzzy. Impulse registered the sounds from a golem nearby, and a bit of fighting, but not much else.

There were arms lifting him up, carrying him over to where Tango was trapped.

Whoever had been carrying him conversed with Tango briefly. Impulse heard the sound of rocks being moved.

The noise continued for a while, and the next time someone spoke, Impulse understood what they were saying.

It was Joe, asking Tango how his legs felt. Tango answered saying that they hurt, but he didn't think they were broken. Some other footsteps drew nearer, and Impulse lifted his head, catching sight of Iskall's green sweatshirt.

"Iskall, can you carry Impulse?"

"On it." Iskall picked him up. Impulse saw Joe help Tango limp forward, and the four began the trek to Zed's.