Chapter 39: Almost fully Reunited

Before you read this chapter, I would like to discuss something.

Exactly one year ago today, I published the first chapter of Fight or Flight. Fight or Flight took exactly three months to write. Freeze or Fall, on the other hand, has taken upwards of six months.

I didn't expect for online school and current events to take such a toll on me, I'm really happy you guys have stayed patient with me through this, no matter how long it took for a new chapter to come out. But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Because quarter 3 has just ended. Easter is in two days. 

And Spring Break has given me an entire week off school.

So, in the spirit of new beginnings, I have made a goal. Every day, for the next week (Starting Sunday or Monday), I will be putting out a brand new chapter for this fic.

This works out perfectly because I only have about 7-8 more chapters planned until I end off this work. I already have plans for the final book, but if you've read the story proposal for The Blood God's Disciple, you'll know I plan to work on other projects through the rest of this month and maybe into May.

Thank you for an amazing year as a writer, I never knew this hobby would actually get me to this point.

And a very special thanks to 

Without you, all of this would not have been possible. Thank you so much for letting me use the Fae!Grian concept, I had no clue it would spiral into this amazing mess of a series.

And for the rest of you, enjoy the chapter!!!

____________

"Joe's back! And- GUYSHEHASCOMPANYOMG" Zed was bouncing on his heels when he looked out the door.

"Company? Does that mean-" Cleo ran over and took a look. She turned around quickly, grabbing everyone's attention. "GRIAN'S HOME!!!"

Everyone was clamoring over as Zed wrenched open the door to let the group outside in.

Joe stepped inside, followed by Ex, some guy with headphones, and Grian with his doppelganger.

As expected, Stress and Mumbo started fawning over Grian while Doc pretended not to be enamored by the Android in front of him.

It wasn't long until Grian was sitting in a circle with everyone, preening his wings. They'd gotten really ruffled after like 20 hugs, the feathers all bent. But Grian didn't mind. Bdubs was currently talking at a million miles an hour, catching him up on the stuff Joe hadn't mentioned.

There were happy tears all around, especially from Mumbo, Iskall, and Scar. Npg and Grumbot were talking about building and politics not too far away. Ex and Zed were also playing catch-up, chatting about worms or something. The rest of the hermits were either peppering Taurtis with questions or sitting in the circle with Grian and Bdubs, listening to the bold man talk.

"-aND APPARENTLY, YOU'VE HAD A BAD INFLUENCE ON MUMBO," Bdubs exclaimed, "THE GUY LITERALLY STOLE THE DIAMOND THRONE."

Mumbo laughed sheepishly. "Hermit Challenges?"

"I was challenged to mine 10,000 blocks and Mumbo was challenged to find and tame a parrot. Guess who actually completed their omega challenge?" Iskall vented, good naturedly.

"It was a prize-winning parrot!" Mumbo gasped in mock offense.

Iskall snorted. "It was a chicken!"

Grian smiled. It felt really good to be home. Everyone seemed so happy, despite the looming disaster.

Grian shot a glance towards Joe. Before they'd hurried to Zed's cave, he'd recast his glamour. At first Grian wondered why Joe still hadn't told anyone, but then he remembered Joe's comment about instinct. If Joe didn't feel like revealing his secret now, that was okay.

His gaze drifted over to Scar, who was discussing something with Cub. Joe had said that Scar had been elected Mayor of the new Shopping District, and Grian could see why. Scar might be a bit of a derp at times, but he enjoyed improving everything around him and knew his way around a stack of diamonds.

It was still surprising to see Scar in something so colorful. Back in season 6, Grian had only really seen him in his Area 77 suit or his normal cowboy clothes. In fact, quite a few hermits had changed.

Stress for one, had surprised him. She'd fully shifted from ice to flowers, and Grian guessed her Ice Queen persona had been preserved as a new Alter when she'd made the switch.

There was also Doc, who now sported a pair of goat horns. Keralis had taken on a construction worker persona, and Cub had shed his mad scientist look for an Egyptian-style outfit, likely in a similar way as Stress.

Even so, from what Grian had heard the Hermits were the same old brand of chaos as usual. He couldn't wait for things to return to normal so that he could rejoin said chaos.

Wheels turned in his head as the thought passed his mind, his more chaotic alters itching to make plans.

But that could wait.

For now he was content to listen to the stories from his fellow Hermits as they cherished this time they had to relax.

They wouldn't have much more time to relax, would they? Grian shivered a little as his mind tumbled down a rabbit hole. Xisuma and Wels were still in danger, and Jrumbot was still missing.

They only had so much time until they'd have to fight. Going up against ET would be hard. Last time, everything had happened so quickly, it had been over before he knew it.

Would there even be a fight this time? What if the same thing happens again and they actually lose someone for good? What if this will drag on forever, what if-

"Grian? You okay?"

Grian hadn't noticed he'd been trembling until then. Thorny roots had sprout up around his knees, curling around his legs. Zedaph was kneeling next to him, with a tentative hand on his shoulder. The roots seemed to avoid him.

The other Hermits had quieted down a little, shooting him concerned looks.

"I'm f-fine." Grian took a few shaky breaths. "Just began to spiral a bit there."

Placing a hand on the roots, he muttered the magic reversal spell he'd gotten accustomed to using. It only worked with his own magic, mainly the roots, but it did come in handy. The roots retreated back into the earth and Zed pulled him into a hug.

Bdubs then continued his chattering and things resumed.

Grian felt safe. Things were hectic, the future was unclear, but none of that mattered at that moment.

He was home with his family, and he felt calm.

Grian smiled.

He was going to be okay.