Chapter 36: Stressed and Impressed (I guess)

"Zed what-"

"Um... There was a complication. But I did it!" Zed grinned from within the containment cell.

Doc sighed. "At least Renbob doesn't seem to be very hostile right now."

"That and the fact that I only have like, one alter and he's retired."

"Eh fair point."

Zed hummed. "So, I don't think this is Renbob anymore. I think the hivemind might've had to full take over him. We both know Renbob's a big pacifist after all."

Doc kneeled down and glanced at the figure in question. Renbob was crouched in a corner, completely silent. "Have you tried talking to him?"

"Sorta? I haven't gotten a good response. Oh! I read somewhere that smells are a great trigger, maybe if we get some flowers-"

Doc listened to Zed ramble for a bit. It might not seem like it, but Zed was one of the most fearless players he knew. Sure, Doc had worked in Area 77 last season, but he'd never dared to get too close to any of the specimens. Now he was watching Zed sit comfortably in a locked cell with a dangerous hivemind.

Not only that, but Zed didn't seemed to be fazed much. The guy had already came up with multiple stuff to try, stuff Doc had never thought about to begin with. Sandals, flowers, tie dye? Vegetables were on the list as well, Renbob was at least vegetarian.

"Okay, okay. I'll go see if I can find any of that stuff." Doc said, cutting Zed off. "Just let us know if anything happens, okay?"

"You bet!"

__________

"We've literally tried everything! It's no use, okay?"

"Wels, calm down. We'll find a way to get out of here, okay?" Ren did his best to comfort his friend. Over time Wels had grown more stressed and worried. He was usually calm and collected, so seeing the Knight like this was strange.

Wels sighed and sat down from where he was pacing. They really had tried everything, and Wels had begun to lose hope. It was frustrating, knowing the rest of the Hermits were likely in danger and that he couldn't do anything about it.

Xisuma sat down by him, and rubbed circles into his back. "We'll get out of here, I promise. It might take forever, but I know we won't be stuck here forever."

"How are you so sure?" Wels asked quietly.

"Wherever this place is, players aren't supposed to be here. Eventually the code should notice and do what it needs to do. It may take a long time, but it will happen."

Ren joined the two. "What then?"

"I don't know. Maybe the code will do a hard reset on us, perhaps it'll send us to the void... I wish I could tell you."

"What about me?"

Xisuma glanced back at ET. He'd been very quiet for a while, staying some distance away. Occasionally he'd randomly disappear, only to reappear a few hours later with no memory of what happened.

"I can't say. But no matter what happens, you'll probably return to Taurtis."

"Let's hope so."

___________

"I'm going out."

"Joe wait-"

"Don't worry Cleo, I'll be fine. I just need to retrieve some stuff from our bases." Joe gave Cleo a reassuring smile.

Cleo stood up. "I'm coming with you."

Joe shook his head. "I must do this alone."

"You sound like you're going on a quest." Cleo snorted.

Joe shrugged. "Maybe. But as the fox leaves it's den, hunts become individual, maybe packs hunt alone."

"Joe."

"I'll take some pups with me, don't worry."

Cleo crossed her arms.

Joe sighed. "You're the only player here other than me who can unsit my dogs. If an attack happens, they're gonna need you, not me. Besides, Zed's security system is way more efficient with you directing the little zombies."

"Fine. But be back before sundown or I'm coming to save you." Cleo stifled a laugh. "And be sure to grab my Shulker of armor stands!"

"I promise." 

Cleo let out an exasperated laugh. "I will never understand how you always convince me."

Joe grinned, placing a stack of ender pearls in hid offhand. "Don't worry, that's just the Joe Hills Difference."