Chapter 45: Home.

It was snowing by the time they got back to the cave, big flakes floating down and covering the area in a calming white blanket. It was like the world held it's breath as the last few hermits filed in.

Iskall did a head count.

"Is it over?" Someone asked.

"Yes." Iskall smiled. "It's finally over."

_______________

Things did not go back to normal for a while. After waiting a few hours for Xisuma, Taurtis, and Wels to be fully conscious, Grian had to explain everything, including the nameless one's stupidly long monologue.

After that, a week went by as those who had been hurt recovered. Wels, haven been under the darkness's influence the longest, chose to leave Hermitcraft for an unspecified amount of time to heal and move on. Everyone supported him, agreeing it was for the best. TFC went with the young knight to help find a suitable singleplayer world and to help him settle down.

The boomers had teamed up to blow the enemy base to smithereens, enlisting a very excited Grian to help. The results were explosive as expected, the only thing holding them back being Bdubs and Doc's "shared" base.

In order to get everyone's morale up, Mumbo created the HCBBS. Although everyone knew what it was and who created it, they played along. By then Grian had made a pretty good framework for his own mega base, Zed offering to help him finish it and catch up.

Grumbot managed to convince Npg to stay in Hermitcraft, and shortly after Npg managed to convince Ex to stay as well. Npg found a nice, wide area to build a rustic empire. Ex helped of course, jokingly calling Npg his "long lost little brother".

Slowly, everyone got back into the swing of things. Grian found time to safely practice his magic again, with Joe right there by his side to help. Taurtis had gone back to the watchers, promising to stay in touch.

One afternoon, after a long day of work, Grian and Mumbo were sitting on top of town hall, just talking the evening away.

"Mumbo?"

"Yeah?"

Grian hesitated. "Do you really think it's all over? That life's finally back to normal for good?"

Mumbo let out a hearty laugh. "Grian, when has life here ever been normal?"

"Fair enough." Grian giggled.

"All jokes aside, I'm sure the future will bring lots of new challenges. But that's just the way Hermitcraft is." Mumbo glanced at his friend. "Don't beat yourself up over it. It's all in the past now. You can relax."

Grian smiled. "Yeah. I think I can."

And for the first time, when roots popped up around him, the thorns were gone, replaced by green leaves and flower buds.