Chapter 42: Cracked, but not broken

Taurtis was no longer in control of his body.

It reminded him of the void. When he'd fallen in and crashed into Ex.

He had panicked back then, trying to escape the inevitable. He still didn't fully remember what had happened.

He knew something was wrong with ET. When the Alter had taken over, Taurtis had acted before he thought. Watcher Magic and what he now knew was Fae magic, collided in a mess that split him and ET, sending him careening into the void.

Then all of this unfolded, and he was back where he'd started.

Something was tugging at his unconscious. It was then Taurtis realize he was lying down on a hard surface.

He opened his eyes, and saw two men, both wearing armor.

__________

Grian couldn't breathe.

He was lying on the forest floor, Zed still unconscious nearby.

He'd abandoned Taurtis. Taurtis had told him to run, and like a coward, Grian did.

He should've helped fight back! He should've done something!

Grian cried out in frustration and punched the ground next to him. The leaf litter caught flame where his fist had collided, and Grian quickly put it out before it could spread.

He sat up and shivered. He was still in panic mode, every little rustle of leaves leaving him anxious and frightened. Frost spread around him as he heaved himself towards Zedaph. The inventor seemed okay for the moment, nothing that couldn't be fixed with a potion.

It was then that Grian finally took in a raspy breath.

It all came crashing down on him again. He'd lost Taurtis again.

None of this would've happened if he hadn't questioned his wings. It was all because he hadn't kept himself from getting captured by the Illagers, which led to Mumbo getting sick, which caused Grian to make a deal that would eventually cause the server's downfall.

It was indirectly his fault.

Grian curled up into a ball, breathing heavily.

He couldn't do this.

__________

Doc found Grian and Zed in a clearing a ways behind the enemy base.

The clearing was filled with frost and ice crystals, a chill in the air. Black, thorny roots had sprung up, in amounts Doc hadn't seen before. They seemed to curl protectively around Grian, who was curled up in a shaking ball next to an unmoving Zedaph.

"Joe! I found them. You might need to work your magic here, it looks bad." Doc called.

"Oh dear. We should get them back ASAP."

__________

Zedaph winced as he sat up. He was in a bed back in the cave.

Oh. Right.

He swung his feet over the side of the bed, standing up easily. He quickly made his way to the main part of the cave. "Heyyy. What happened? Did we win? Is Wels back!?" He really couldn't hide the optimism and hope in his voice.

That died quickly when he saw Grian.

Zed froze. Grian was sitting with his knees pulled up to his chest. Joe was soothing him while Mumbo and Scar carefully groomed his wings.

Grian looked so defeated. And Taurtis was nowhere in sight.

It didn't take him long to put two and two together. Zed ran forwards, stooping a couple feet away from Grian and pulling him into a hug.

They'd all lost that day.

But Zed was determined to change that.

After making sure Grian was okay, Zed went over to the Bumless Pit and climbed in. He close the trapdoor above him and sat down, dangling his feet into the void.

"Hi Void. It's been a while."

"╎ℸ ̣ ⍑ᔑᓭ ╎リ↸ᒷᒷ↸, !¡ᒷリℸ ̣ ᒷ ℸ ̣ ᒷᓭᓭᒷ∷ᔑ."

__________

- .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / ..-. .-. --- -- / --. .-. . . -.-

-. ..- -- -... . .-. ... / - --- / .-.. . - - . .-. ...

-- --- -... / .- -.-. .-. --- -. -.-- --