𝒳𝒳𝐼

I push my long strands behind my ear while I look through my book trying to distract my wandering thoughts.
I huff and pull my strands back to the front of my ears.
My class was called off earlier than others and now I'm already sitting in the cafeteria with my lunch waiting for other pupils to arrive.
My heart rate is going haywire right now and I don't know why.

Maybe Louis even forgot about it.
He posted about it of course he's not going to forget.
I hear a few pupils entering the cafeteria and finally it gets a bit louder tuning out my wandering thoughts.
I sat down at the most unsuspicious table at the back to the windows so I can get some light but still am a bit away from all the students.
The girls who are entering the cafeteria are giving me dirty looks and are whispering.

If Nick was here he'd punch them into oblivion. I have to smile at the thought because Nick could never hurt a girl. Or anyone in general.
I move my eyes back to my book but I can't drown out their voices sadly.
"I heard she was into Louis but he would never date someone like her."
If you only knew that I'm actually trying to get rid of him.
I continue the ignore the dirty looks of the students as they walk by until the cafeteria is filled to the brim with chattering people.
I close my book in frustration because I don't understand a single word I'm reading right now.

"What the fuck are you actually thinking?" I snap my head up and turn around to see a brunette girl standing in front of me her hands placed on her hips.
"Sorry do I know you?" I ask her softly my brows furrowed.
She scoffs and looks at her nails. Ookay? At first she starts to talk to me and then she ignores me?
That makes sense.
"Why are you sitting here?" She now snaps and I can't tell if she's being serious or not.

"Because I want to eat lunch and it's lunchtime?" I more ask than state because she's kind of intimidating.
"I don't mean that you dumbass. What is up with you and Louis? You are waiting for him aren't you? Do you really think he would go for a girl who's that ordinary like you?"
Ouch.
Even though I'm not interested in Louis it still hurts to hear that you're not good enough. But it doesn't surprise me I know my place in this school and I'm okay with it.
I shrug my shoulders at her because I don't have the strength to answer all of her questions.

She stomps with her foot on the ground and her face gets a dangerous red color as she glares at me angrily. I lean a bit back because I don't know what the hell she is doing now but her eyes wander to something behind me.
The red leaves her face and I turn around before a tablet gets slammed onto my table scaring me.
"Bloody hell." I murmur and put my hand over my racing heart.
I look up into Louis face who gives me a charming smile.
"Everything alright?" He asks me as he sits down in front of me.
I open my mouth and look behind me but the girl just vanished.
"I- nevermind." I tell him slowly when I turn back around to him.

My eyes widen when he gives me a big grin as he stabs his fork into his salad and shoves it in his mouth.
"What are you so smiley about?" I ask him confused blinking twice.
He tilts his head and looks at me his eyes a vivid brown.
"You didn't forget about our lunch date."
"Meet up." I correct his choice of words.
"How could I forget it you mentioned it to the whole internet." I tell him afterwards.
He shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly and continues to inhale his lunch.
"I never know about you. So I wasn't sure, I thought if I make it official you're more likely to show up."

I focus my eyes onto the cover of my book when his intense eyes are eager for my answer.
"It's just lunch, I can get it over with." I mumble quietly more to myself than him.
"Huh." He says and I look up to see his eyes trained on the table.
Is he..hurt?
"Sorry that sounded more rude than intended that's not what I meant." I tell him giving him a stiff smile.
God you're so socially awkward Melody.
He gives me a sad smile and I mentally slap myself for being so rude.

Louis was always nice to me and the first time I get the chance I insult him.
My eyes wander around the room trying to catch a new topic when I suddenly meet Nicks eyes.
He waves over at me from the other end of the room where he sits with some of his soccer friends.
I slowly wave back awkwardly and he breaks out into a fit of laughter.
Yeah laugh at me like this situation isn't bad enough.
Louis turns around to look at who I'm waving at and his brows raise as he turns his face back to me.

"That's Nick he's my friend." I tell him relieved to have a new topic.
His eyes are dark and curious as he tilts his head again.
"Just a friend? He seems to like you a lot."
"No we're really just friends we know each other pretty long." He hums at my answer his finger drawing a pattern on the table.
"So just friends..do you..ehh do you have any other.." he trails off and his cheeks get rosy making me raise my brows in confusion.
"No Nick is my only friend." I tell him honestly.
"No that's not what I meant." He lets out a little chuckle as he looks back up at me.

"I mean do you have like a boyfriend or something else?" He asks me and my eyes widen in realization.
I really never imagined myself in a relationship or that a boy could be interested me in the slightest way. Even if I know that Louis is kind of interested in me I just think it's a phase of him and it's going to be over soon.
I don't have the time to date someone if my dad would find out I don't think I could ever go out of the house again.
"My dad is strict.." I trail off and he nods.

"Yeah you said that yesterday as well. I didn't think it would keep you from doing certain things. I mean it's still your life. You certainly have enough admirer." I don't understand the last sentence he says because besides him no one ever showed interest in me.
"My dad lets me be in art class and it's everything I have and love. I'm happy that he's letting me do it it's the least I could ask for." He furrows his brows at my words and I push my sleeves down nervously.
I don't really like to talk about my dad with others, Nick knows that already but when it's someone who doesn't know me that well it gets very exhausting.

"But he can't stop you from doing what you want even when you don't fulfill his expectations. You're allowed to follow your interests." He tells me passionately and I smile at the adorable face he makes.
"Please lets not talk about my dad." I ask him and he instantly gets it nodding and changes the topic.
"So you like to paint?"

"Yes I'm in Miss Evans class Millie is in it as well." I tell him sitting on my hands nervously.
"Yeah she told me about it." He mumbles and I give him a suspicious look.
"I'd love to see some of your pieces sometime." He tells me and my eyes widen. No way in hell am I going to show him my pieces. They're very personal and mostly really dark I'm scared to show them to someone and then they'll figure me out instantly.
I've heard somewhere that the work of an artist are the way to their soul and that sounds bloody scary.
"Yeah sure." I tell him softly.

"Do you like to watch movies?" He asks me suddenly out of the blue his eyes sparkling hopefully.
I open my mouth to answer him but the bell rings in this moment and I look up to see that almost everyone is gone and off to class.
I quickly scramble my papers together and grab my book standing up.
"Sorry but I don't want to be late." I tell him and he nods his head still sitting at the table.
I rush up and walk backwards my eyes still on him.

It doesn't seem like he's going to get up and to class.
"I hate movies." I tell him and smile at him waving goodbye before I make my way to class quickly.