46

Harry's POV

They were free falling into the darkness as the squad team ran down  the embankment. I tried so hard to grab Anna's hand but I wasn't fast enough. I leaned over the railing watching helplessly as they crashed into the water hard.

I kept praying that they would pop up gasping for air. It didn't happen though. The squad members waded into the river and made a human chain. The minuets were going by in slow motion with no change. Then one of them screamed that they had one.

I felt my legs carry me towards the voice. Looking down over the rail I saw them doing CPR as they strapped Macy to a backboard. She wasn't breathing. They kept working her all the way up the hill. As they reached the ambulance she sputtered on water choking and gagging.

 As they reached the ambulance she sputtered on water choking and gagging

"Where is she?" She was frantically looking around as she groaned. "Anna Marie! Anna! Where is Anna Marie?"

"We're still looking. The waters moving pretty violently with the storm." The squad member said loading her into the squad.

She met my gaze. "Harry! I'm so sorry, I tried to let go! I tried but she wouldn't let go! Harry they have to find her!"

Another ambulance pulled up as they shut the doors on Macy and drove away. I was in a daze as I watched men and women rushing around. Next thing I know I heard them call for dogs. They asked if I was family and I told them I was her boyfriend.

The police came and took a statement from me. I told them everything as the dogs searched the banks. I heard someone down there screaming for back up. Then there was a stretcher rolling by me. Anna was strapped to it looking like hell.

"Are you riding with her?" The cop asked me.

"I should take my car." I looked over my shoulder. "I want to be with her though."

"Sir, I advise you drive. She's not breathing so this won't be something you want to see." The ambulance woman gave me a sad smile. "Meet us at the ER."

I nodded as they continued CPR and closed the doors. "This shouldn't have happened. She's just starting her life."

"Are you okay to drive?" the cop asked me.

I probably wasn't but I told him I was fine. He let me go and told me he'd follow up in a few days. As I was heading to my car I heard him talk to God. He asked for Anna to be okay. He asked for it like he was asking for a favor. I felt tears sliding down my face as I got behind the wheel of my car.

"God, please!" I smacked the wheel. "This isn't fair, please let her be okay!"

At the hospital I ran in soaking wet to the front desk of the ER. The woman looked scared at the sight of me. She looked at me with wide eyes as I asked for Anna's room. I lied to her and said Anna was my wife because I wasn't about to jump through formalities.