44

Macy still hadn't returned. it was well after two in the morning. Harry was sitting up with me on the couch draped in a thick blanket. The tv was on but I was only watching the door. I was waiting, and praying she'd walk in any minute.

"Do you want me to call Mitch to see if he's heard from her?" Harry asked.

I shook my head. "Please?"

He pulled out his phone and dialed Mitch. The ringing felt like it lasted a year. Mitch finally answered and Harry asked him if he had heard from Macy. There was muffled words and Harry stood up almost dropping me in the damn floor.

"What!" He shouted.

Harry paced as Mitch talked. Then Harry handed me a jacket from the back of the couch and gestured for me to get up. Mitch was still talking as Harry shook his head. He pointed to my shoes.

"Do you have any idea where she might do such a thing?" Harry asked then waited for an answer. "Thanks, We'll call you when we find her."

Once he hung up he was practically dragging me out the front door. "What's going on Harry?"

"She just hung up with him a few minutes ago. He said she sounded drunk and was talking crazy. He's been trying to call her back but she's not answering." He said.

We were in his car fastening seatbelts when I spoke again. "I think I know where she'll be."

"Where?" He asked.

"Where's the nearest bridge?" I asked.

Harry's eyes widened and instead of replying he threw the car in gear. We sped across town. The streets were pretty dead as far as California goes. Harry was muttering under his breath too quiet for me to hear. I was just playing with my fingers and thinking back to the only other time I'd had to do this.

"Anna?" Harry said gaining my attention.

"Yeah?" I looked over at him.

"Has she ever done anything like this?" He asked.

I nodded with tears filling my eyes. "She has."

"When?" He asked.

"Years ago. We were still in high school when it happened. It had been a bad year for both of us." I sighed not really wanting to revisit it in my mind. "It was the year I lost Paul. We would've been about seventeen."

"What happened?" He asked.

"I don't really feel comfortable talking about it. It isn't my story to tell as to how she ended up on the bridge." I took a deep breath. "I found her though."

"She was on a bridge then too?" He asked.

"She was." I felt a tear slide down my cheek as I looked out the window into the dark night as he drove. "It was late, probably around midnight. I was coming home from a study group and a guy from my science class was giving me a ride. My phone had died and I remember being so worried that my parents were going to kill me for missing curfew."

"How did you find her?"

"The guy taking me home was crossing the bridge and it was pouring rain. He said that it looked like someone was going to jump, and I looked up and saw her." I closed my eyes remembering it clear as day. "She was soaked to the bone in a white cotton dress. She had her arms out like she was walking a tight rope. I remember screaming for him to stop the car, and I jumped out running to her. I was screaming for her to get down. I didn't want to scare her and make her fall though."

"What happened when she heard you?" Harry asked taking a sharp turn and picking up speed.

I took a deep shaky breath. "She told me she loved me and that she was sorry."