39

In the waiting area I paced a hole in the floor. Macy was the first to show up. It had only been thirty minutes when she came running in looking like a hot mess. Her hair was frizzing from getting wet in the rain. She demanded to know what was going on but the desk lady told her the same nothing that shed given me.

"This is so scary." Macy said as she tapped her foot in the chair I kept pacing in front of.

"It is." I agreed.

"Did you call Emilia?" She asked.

I nodded. "I did."

"Your parents?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Not until I know what's actually happening."

She nodded. "I need a coffee. Will you be okay alone for a minute?"

"I'll be fine." I said. "Get me one too please?"

She nodded and hopped out of her chair. She disappeared down the hallway and the door from outside slid open again. Emilia came rushing in with a good looking guy hot on her heels. She spotted me and ran right into my arms as we embraced in a tight hug.

"Anna Marie, I'm so sorry. I should've been there!" She cried. "I never should've let you talk me into taking the day off."

"It's okay. You couldn't have known." I soothed her.

"I'm so sorry!" She squeezed me tight then let go. "What have you heard?"

"Nothing." I looked over my shoulder. "Desk lady won't tell me a thing."

"Well, let's sit down." She pulled me down into a chair beside her.

"Who's this?" I asked looking to the guy who was now sitting on the other side of her.

"This is Evan." She literally almost swooned looking over her shoulder at him. "He was nice enough to drive me."

"Thank you for making sure she was safe Evan." I smiled.

Macy rejoined us soon with my coffee. She offered to go get more but Evan and Emilia declined. Macy continued to tap her foot and Emilia started biting her nails. Evan was eyeing us all and kept giving the desk lady the stare down.

Eventually a nurse came out and called Grams name. We all stood up. She smiled as we made our way to her.

"Are you family?" She asked.

I nodded. "I'm her granddaughter."

"Well, Susan has had a pretty rough night but seems to be stable. She had multiple seizures and he blood pressure remains elevated. She's going to need to stay overnight to be monitored." She said. "Has she been under high stress lately?"

"Not that I can think of." I said.

"That's not necessarily true." Emilia said giving me a sad smile. "She's been worried about Anna Marie giving up her happiness to care for her."

"That could have been the trigger." The nurse nodded.

"So this is my fault?"

"No, not at all sweetie." The nurse said. "We just need to identify the stressor so we can work on it when she wakes up before she's released."

"When she wakes up?" Macy asked.

"She's sedated right now." The nurse said. "It's the only way we could get her blood pressure down. We'll started weaning her off the medication in the morning."

"But she's okay?" I asked.

The nurse nodded. "For now she is stable. Would you like to see her?"