Chapter 3

Pic of Ben up top! Enjoy!

I saw his mouth moving and I knew that words were coming out as all of the students were nodding their heads at his statement, but I couldn't believe it.

This man that had teased me, flirted with me, and then ultimately hustled me was my teacher for the next two months. This had to be some sick joke. I was anticipating someone to jump out with a camera crew and tell me that I was on some random prank show.

That didn't happen.

My eyes scanned the room until they landed on a familiar set of hazel eyes. Ben stared back at me with wide eyes filled with concern and a slight hint of amusement.

I looked to my friend for guidance on a situation he wasn't even aware of. Ben then nodded his head towards the direction of the front of the classroom.

Confused, I shook my head letting him know I had no clue what he meant.

Ben rolled his eyes at me and continued nodding his head towards the front of the room. My eyes left his and went in the direction he was nodding in, which happened to be straight to Mr. McCoy.

He was staring at me expectantly, but why? And then a horrifying thought occurred.

I moved my gaze from his and sure enough the entire class stared right back at me.

Well, this is uncomfortable.

My eyes shot back to Mr. McCoy as he spoke.

"Welcome back, Ms. It seems as though your ears took a vacation as I've been talking to you for the last minute while you were catching flies with your mouth," McCoy said with a very serious face, but there was a hint of amusement in his eyes as well.

I mumbled a 'sorry' under my breath and scurried up to where Ben was sitting; all the while doing my best to avoid eye contact with anyone I passed.

I threw my bag onto the desk and quickly sunk down in my seat until my head was nowhere visible to Mr. McCoy.

"What the hell was that, Alex?" Ben whispered to me.

I groaned, letting my head fall back against the seat.

"Karma at her very best," I mumbled.

Ben's eyes flickered with concern. "Everything okay, Cookie?"

Ever since I told him the story about my cookie bets when I was little, he had proclaimed that to be his nickname for me. To be honest, I actually really adored the nickname, made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I inwardly chuckled at my own cliché.

I let my head fall the side facing him and attempted a smile. My efforts obviously fell short as he dropped the concerned look to replace it with an incredulous one.

"It's not really a big deal, just a very unfortunate turn of events, nothing I can't handle," I said, giving him a convincing smile this time.

My smile was short lived as the voice I dreaded hearing most came ringing through the classroom.

"Excuse me, am I interrupting something?" He raised an eyebrow at us expectantly.

My mouth opened and closed but nothing came out.

Ben finally stepped up to the plate, saving my ass for the second time today.

"No sir, we were just discussing -"

"I really don't care what you were discussing. Go try your pick up lines on her somewhere else or be quiet." He turned his stare to me "Both of you."