Epilogue

Six years later...

"Rach, you picked up the cake, right?"

"Got it!" Rachel's voice called out as she rounded the corner into the kitchen, carrying a large, square shaped box in her hands. "And it looks amazing!" Rachel gushed as she handed me over the cake, opening it up for me so I could take a look.

Perfect.

"Oh my god, I can't wait for his reaction!"

"Shh! He's gonna be home any minute!" I scolded Rachel as I flipped the cover on the cake back down and walked it over to the kitchen table, which was littered with birthday presents of all shapes and sizes.

"Sorry," Rachel mumbled under her breath as I turned on my heel to see her digging her phone out of her back pocket.

Her light blue eyes peaked in annoyance and she dropped her head back with a sigh.

"I've gotta take this. It's that one client I keep telling you about that won't leave me alone."

I nodded my head as I recalled her complaining about her newest client whose finger was apparently glued to the 'call' button on his phone with Rachel's personal number on speed dial.

"Good luck!" I called as she exited into the living room, moving sluggishly as she answered her phone unwillingly.

Rachel was now a therapist. She graduated with her BFA and went on to study for two more years, gaining her hands on experience that was required before being allowed to practice her skills on actual people with actual issues.

To say that I was proud of her would be an understatement.

She and I had remained close as ever, even when she was getting all of her experience hours over those two years and we had to wedge in whatever time we could to hang out.

Now, she had her own house, not too far from ours, and was happy as ever. She still had never settled down but part of me had an inkling that once she hit 30, those thoughts of living wild and free would come to an end. She just had to find the right man; which is easier said than done if I'm being honest.

But for now, she was happy and I was happy for her.

"Alex!"

I heard my name being called from the living room and shuffled my way in there to see what the commotion was about.

I walked in and saw my mom standing on a small foot stool, trying to tape up a banner with 'Happy Birthday' written across it in bright, bold, colors.

"Yeah, mom?"

"Is this where you want it?" she asked as she strained to keep her pose, making sure that the banner wouldn't fall out of its current placement.

"Yeah! That's fine! Just don't hurt yourself."

"See? I told you it was fine," I heard my dad say to my mom, followed by a short yelp from my dad seconds later as I assumed she swatted him.

"Hey! Still feisty as ever," my dad said thoughtfully, which elicited a small rise of my lips at their playful banter even 31 years later.

The sound of the front door opening caused a jolt of fright to slice through me as I feared it was Nathan coming home before he was supposed to, ruining the surprise for himself completely.

My stomach flooded with relief as I set my eyes on Bryan, Ben's brother, coming in through the door.

"Hey!" I greeted him excitedly as I bounded my way over to him and threw my arms around his neck.