Chapter 21

Once inside the Aquarium, I was instantly engulfed in marine life of all different sizes, colors, and shapes. Ever since I was a little girl I had been obsessed with the ocean. Sharks were one of my favorite animals on the planet and I knew for a fact that I could best most people with my in depth knowledge of the graceful and terribly misunderstood animals.

I tugged Nathan from tank to tank and unloaded my wealth of aquatic knowledge on him. He just smiled and nodded along, seemingly taking in every moment of this day with a mental video recorder. He was listening intently but I wasn't sure if he was taking in the information or just enjoying the sounds of my voice and the energy I put off when I was this excited.

We rounded a corner on our way to visit the dolphin exhibit and show when I spotted him. I felt all of the blood drain from my face and a large knot of nerves combined to from a pit of dread in my stomach. I stopped my movements on the spot, causing Nathan to run into the back of me. He wrapped his arms around my waist to steady himself and I brushed off his hold as though it was fire, burning me with his touch.

I spun on my heel and faced Nathans extremely confused and slightly hurt expression. Without really thinking it through, I pushed Nathan through the crowded hall and back around the corner.

"Alex, whats wrong?" Nathan asked once he had found his footing again, a mildly annoyed look planted in his sapphire eyes.

"The Dean."

Nathans eyes turned in confusion and he titled his head to the side. "I don't...-"

"The Dean is here and he's around that corner." I cut him off.

Nathans eyes widened and fear settled in where the confusion once was.

"Are you sure?" Nathan asked as he shifted his weight from one foot to the next.

"I'm almost 100% positive."

Nathan sighed and cursed under his breath. He then made his way over to the corner cautiously. I watched as he daringly peered around the corner and jolted his head back around to the safety of our side of the wall.

Fear gnawed at my stomach as I knew the look that Nathan sported meant that my own eyes had not deceived me.

My Dean; Nathans boss, was in the building.

This should be interesting.

My mind began to race with all of the consequences that getting caught had in store. My reputation would be ruined, Nathan would be fired, my parents would be so disappointed for lying to them...

I felt my body temperature rise. My face was flushed a crimson red as my emotions started taking a hold of me. I couldn't be responsible for ruining someone elses life.

A calloused hand grasped at my face as Nathans worried expression met my own.

"We have to get out of here," He spoke, his words laced with an urgency that I fully comprehended.

I nodded my head in agreement and released an elongated breath as my head swarmed with ways to avoid being seen by the Dean. My brain felt like an overloaded pile of mush and frenzy. I shifted my weight onto my left foot to peer slightly around the corner to see where the Dean had gone.

Oh, shit!

My widened eyes latched onto Nathans.

"He's coming our way!" I whisper yelled at him.

"Fuck!" Nathan swore under his breath as my body pumped with a new found adrenaline and determination.

I wrapped my hand around Nathans and tugged him in the opposite direction of the Dean. A child of 5 or 6 happened to be in my way when I spun around and my foot caught the child's as I took him down and he crashed to the floor, erupting into tears.