Chapter 42

"Did you miss me?"

As soon as Travis' vile lips quirked up into that devious smirk and spoke, all of the hateful memories of him from the visit at my parents' house came flooding back like a dam had just burst within my mind

I stared at his smug face blankly as thought after thought and memory after memory soared through my brain, riveting it in confusion and leaving it with one circling, simple question.

"What the fuck?"

Greg's voice erupted into a brief but jolly chuckle, his face crinkling up into a smile as he gazed at me.

"I know, I know. There is some explaining that needs to be done, love," Greg said as he crossed back in front of my confined body.

"But I have some preparations to make before we leave still so Travis here will bring you into the loop." As he spoke, I saw out of the corner of my eye, his hand come up and place itself gingerly on my cheek, sweeping his thumb over my dampened cheek in a loving manner.

His eyes sparkled with such a level of love that I couldn't even manage to pull my face away from his touch. The amount of what seemed to be sincere adoration shinning in his eyes for me, shook my insides terribly and left me speechless.

Soon enough, but not quick enough for my liking, Greg removed his hand from my face and sauntered out of the room.

Leaving Travis and I alone.

Like a predator, Travis watched me with wicked eyes as he titled his head from side to side, observing me from every angle. He was enjoying my growing discomfort, even reveled in it as his lips lifted up into a sly smile.

"Confused?" he asked in a belittling voice.

Yes.

But I remained silent. I refused to bend to his will and play his fucked up game. He would talk eventually. I just had to be patient.

"I know you are. I can see it in your eyes, Alex."

Silence.

Travis cocked his head to the side and studied me with growing annoyance behind his eyes. His tongue peeked out and wet his lips as he took a step closer to me.

"You don't wanna talk? You have no desire to know how I know Greg or what I'm doing here?" He was taunting me and I knew it. He was poking me with every question I desperately wanted answered but refused to buckle and ask myself.

That would show weakness and ignorance. That would be handing them over any power I had left, showing them that I really was at their mercy.

And I wasn't ready to submit just yet.

"You aren't even the least bit curious to how I've been involved from the beginning? By the way," Travis was suddenly far closer than he was before, his dirty blonde hair brushing against my face as he spoke into my ear.

"Tell your sister I said hi."

White. All I saw was blinding white in my vision as my body charged with a violent rage and a hungry fire that yearned to scorch everything in it's path into a burnt crisp.

I yanked my knee up and sent it directly into Travis's stomach, causing him to crouch into himself and a pathetic whimper to escape from his lips.

I watched on in triumph as Travis attempted to stand, both of his hands reaching out to place on the sides of my chair for leverage as he groaned in pain. Travis stayed in that position for a moment or two, catching his breath before he raised his head up slowly, connecting his fiery stare with mine.