Chapter 7

After waiting outside in the hallway for a few minutes, Ben finally showed up to class and we walked in together. I planned on avoiding Mr. McCoy for the rest of class due to our little moment earlier but apparently Ben had a different plan.

As I started walking directly up the rows to get to our normal seats, Ben's hand wrapped around my waist and pulled me in the opposite direction; which happened to be right towards Mr. McCoy. Oh joy.

He had a few other students surrounding him asking questions which seemed like a good enough reason to me to go back to our seats.

"Come on, Ben. He's obviously very busy and will need to get class started soon. Let's just go sit down." I grabbed Ben's hand off my waist and attempted to pull him away from our professor.

"Oh no, I don't think so." His hand ripped out of mine and snaked back around my waist, dragging me back towards Mr. McCoy.

"What are we even doing up here? Do you have a question on the project or something?" I huffed, becoming exceedingly more irritated with every passing moment.

Ben shook his head. "Nah, I just wanted to thank the man again for saving you."

I groaned. "And why do I have to be here for it? I already thanked the man!"

Ben turned to look at me disbelievingly. "Oh, yeah? When?"

"Do you both actually have a question or are you just up here waste my time?" The devil himself interrupted through our conversation rudely to ask, earning both Ben and I's attention immediately.

Whoa, where did that come from?

Ben awkwardly cleared his throat, obviously a little taken back by Mr. McCoy's less than friendly attitude towards us.

"Uh, no, no question, just wanted to extend my gratitude again for all that you did that night." Ben paused for a moment to look at me, his grip on my waist tightening. "I don't want to think what would of happened to this one here if you hadn't have been with her." He then extended his hand out to greet Mr. McCoy's. "Seriously man, you need anything, just let me know."

I turned my gaze away from Ben to Mr. McCoy. Yet, when I looked his way, I was surprised to see his gaze wasn't on Ben or even his outstretched hand. His sapphire eyes were glued to Ben's other hand, which was still wrapped firmly around my waist.

Confused, I cleared my throat to try and grab Mr. McCoy's attention. This seemed to work as his eyes snapped up to meet mine, an intense and somewhat bewildered look infused in his stare. I gave him my own confused and slightly concerned look and he finally acknowledged Ben's still awaiting hand.

Mr. McCoy reached out and shook Ben's hand hastily and apparently he had a very firm handshake. Ben was all too quick to get his hand back and nonchalantly nurse it back to health.

"Oh uh, it was nothing, just doing my job." Mr. McCoy's toned suggested an easy calmness while his body was anything but. His entire body was ridged and he kept flexing his other hand repeatedly; nervously.

"No sir, it wasn't nothing," Ben spoke up again. "You went way above and beyond for a student than any other teacher I've ever met."

Mr. McCoy looked beyond uncomfortable with this statement. "Well, I would have done it for any of my students."

Ouch. There went any feeling a being slightly special that I had left after our conversation this morning.

Suddenly, I felt really stupid. More stupid than I did this morning, probably more so than I had in my entire life. I didn't think that he liked me or anything but I at least thought he saw me a little differently than the other students.