Chapter 41

Nathans P.O.V.

My eyes wandered lazily over the papers that Mrs. Smith had handed me when I walked into work today.

That had been how everything these last agonizing 4 days had been done; with absolutely no purpose or conviction. I had lost the drive that once pumped through my veins, pushing me further through my life and career goals. I had lost the one thing that made everything worth it, every little stumble along the way worth it.

Alex.

Jesus, even thinking her name sent a freshly sharpened knife slicing through my chest, the pain causing my breathing to falter ever so slightly each time.

I was a goddamn mess without her. I couldn't sleep properly, couldn't force myself to consume anything more than copious amounts of coffee each morning and then try and force down a pathetic excuse for dinner that I always ended up throwing most of it away anyways.

I hadn't been submitted to this depth of pain since my father passed away.

I felt useless and pathetic, helpless to know what I could possibly to do win her back. But what she saw...with Silvia. It felt almost impossible that anything would ever ease her pain of that site.

Fucking Silva. If I ever came within 20 feet of that heartless, egotistical daddy's girl ever again, I don't know what I'd do but I'm almost positive that every moral code I was taught growing up about not hitting a woman would fly out of the window the moment I saw her smug, silicone injected face.

It didn't help that I couldn't remember a fucking thing that went on while Silva was there. She had to have put something in that coffee...there's no other logical explanation.

Fuck, no matter how many times I go over it in my head, not a damn thing changes.

The fact still remained that Alex didn't trust me, didn't want me, and I hadn't a clue on how to deal with it.

I let my head drop into my hands on the desk and ran my fingers back and forth roughly between my disheveled hair. Frustration was running through my mind vigorously and I was losing my patience for the mass amount of work that sat in front of me.

Abruptly, the classroom door slammed open and my tired body jumped at the sudden noise.

I cast my eyes over to see whom had made the intrusion when Ben's familiar, yet enraged face came into view.

"Where is she?!"

What the hell?

"Mr. Grant, lower your voice and mind how you talk to your superior!" Mrs. Smith bellowed out behind me as I stood from my chair and walked towards Ben's pacing, wild figure.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him as calmly as my emotions would allow.

"Is she with you? Please, tell me she's with you or at your house or something!" Ben's eyes were panicked and his frantic tone caused my heart to begin to pound harder and harder in my chest.

Slowly, I shook my head.

"Fuck!" Ben exclaimed and ran a hand through his hair and turned back towards the door.

I jumped my steps forward and grabbed onto his shoulder, spinning him around to face me.

"What's going on?" I asked in a demanding tone.

"She's gone! And if you don't have her that only leaves one person..." Ben's voice trailed off as his words swirled through my mind as I came to the horrifying realization of who that one person was.