Bad News

We were walking away from the murder scene as a blond-haired girl started to scream.
Sheriff- “Bethany get back!”
She just stared at the body, I had seen her around school; her and her boyfriend were seniors. Unfortunately, the dead boy tied to the tree just happened to be her same boyfriend I had seen in the beacon hills high school halls.
Bethany- “no!!”
I took a step closer to her, only to be held back by Scott.
Scott- “she will be okay, just give her time.”
I nodded and gave her a tight-lipped smile, one filled with sorrow and empathy. She was in the stage of denial. One of the worst stages to be in after a loved one had died. You still believe that it was all just a sick nightmare and that they will walk through the door just as you start to lose hope. but they never do, and they never will.

My grip on Scott’s hand tightened as I tried to push all my bad thoughts away and steady myself. But I couldn’t, no matter what I did all I could thing was the same thing over and over again; that could have been Scott… and I could have been Bethany…
My breathing began to get heavier, Scott not noticing as he was too busy listening to Isaac and stiles bickering over either the twins did this to Scott. No, it wasn’t Scott, my breaths began to become more ragged and my palms began to sweat. Scott’s okay, Scott’s perfectly fine; Scott’s safe. I began to repeat those words like a mantra, feeling myself gat calmer at every mention of his name.
Scott- “Mia?”
Scott’s worried tone pulled me out of my nightmare. His hand reached for my arm, holding my shaking body still.
Scott- “Mia, are you okay?”
I mustered a nod in his direction, not being able to look at him without allowing the image of crimson blood splattered across his face to creep behind my eyelids; showcasing it like a movie whenever I close my eyes.
Scott- “it’s alright. I’m right here with you.”
A warm feeling spread across my body as Scott puller me in for a hug; his arms wrapping around my waist, and mine around his shoulders and neck.
Mia- “thank you.”
It was barely a whisper, but I knew he heard it still. Accepting the appreciation, Scott turned to our friends who were still bickering. Almost at the same time, they both turned to us; stile with his arms crosses and Isaac’s hands lingering by his side.
Isaac- “Scott, what about you?”
Scott- “erm, I, I don’t know yet.”
Stiles- “you don’t know yet?”
Scott- “well, he, you know he has a point.”
His hands gestures to Isaac and stiles shook in frustration.
Scott- “seriously dude. look, human sacrifices?
Stiles- “guys! Your eyes turn into yellow glow sticks. Hair literally grows from your cheeks and then will immediately disappear. Then there’s Mia, who can turn into a human torch without getting burned and if I were to stab you three right now, it would just magically heal. But your telling me your having trouble grasping human sacrifices?!”
Mia- “he has a point to.”
Isaac- “well, I don’t care. They killed that kid. They killed the girl that saved me. And now I’m going to kill them to.”
Then with that, he walked off; leaving me, Scott and stiles to wonder how the hell he is planning two twin alphas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scott and Stiles had just dropped me off at my house and were pulling out of the drive was as I waved good bye to them; both of them going back to school. I hadn’t fully recovered from seeing the body, so here I was. One they were out of sight I closed the front door, locking it behind me and spinning on my heals, setting my moral compass for my favourite please in the house, the kitchen.
Turning on the light, I started to walk to mu counter, only to be stopped dead in my tracks by a familiar figure.
I hadn’t known her very well as a kid, so her being here without my permission send shivers through my spine. Her characteristics so similar to those of my grandma’s; only hers were filled with melancholy and sadness.
Mia- “you’re not welcome here.”
??- “now is that any way to treat your great auntie?”
Mia- “your no family of mine, Araya.”
She chuckled, the smile still not reaching her eyes.
Araya- “now, now my pequeña llama.”
I stared at her, my eyes not daring to look anywhere but at her. That was always what my grandma had called me. I had never understood what the translation meant, little flame, but now I know and I resent her for it; I resent her for not telling me about this world, one filled with so much danger.
Mia- “what are you here for, demonio molesto?”
There it was again, that depressing smile that seemed to radiate off of her.
Araya- “annoying demon? Your grandma would have liked that.”
A rush of emotions flooded through me. She said ‘would’. Why not now would my grandma like that?
Mia- “would have?”
Her smile faded completely, showing the lack of emotions; she was numb.
Araya- “you might want to sit down, my child.”
I didn’t question her request; I just followed her instructions; wanting to know more.
Mia- “what happened? Why are you here?”
Araya- “there was an accident, I’m sure your aware of our family’s connection to the supernatural?”
I nodded my head timidly, not wanting to give away how this was making my head spin.
Araya- “well, one of our hostages escaped from the restraints and took out everyone in his path. It just so happened that you grandma and my sister was dragging her luggage down the hall way at the same time.”
Mia- “luggage? Where was she going?”
Araya- “here. When we heard you had found your powers and let your phoenix take over, she was adamant she came here and teach you how to control it. We couldn’t stop her, her love for you got her killed, He slashed her throat.”
I just sat there, staring at the door, waiting for my grandma to walk through the door. I was in denial.
Mia- “she can’t be…”
Araya- “well I’m afraid she is, and she isn’t coming back.”
Tears started to roll down my cheeks, causing a small puddle to form on the neck of my shirt. The shaking began again only to be held down by a tentative arm, one belonging to Araya.
Araya- “it’s okay, demonio molesto.”
Mia- “no its not, it’s my fault! If I hadn’t gone into the vault then I wouldn’t have gotten hurt; and if I hadn’t have gotten hurt, then I wouldn’t have found my power meaning that she would still be alive! Can’t you see… it’s my fault…”
Araya- “it was her choice to move in with me in Mexico, if that decision hadn’t of been made, then she would be alive.”
Mia- “but she only moved because I was moving to England.”
Araya- “no, she was planning it before you were even born. There wasn’t anything you did that could have caused a different outcome than the one already set for her.”
No words left my lips, but millions of thoughts swirled around my brain; only to be pushed away by the calming sound of Araya’s voice.
Araya- “can you control it yet?”
I paused for a second, wondering if I could trust her. I made the executive decision to show her my control. After all, she was my blood family.
I stood up off of the stool and walked over to the middle of the room; within seconds, the once dark eery room was light up by the flames enveloping my body. A stunned gasp left my auntie’s cracked lips. I distinguished the flames and mad my way back over to her. She bowed her head in respect.
Araya- “you really have become a powerful young woman.”
Mia- “what’s that?”
I pointed to rucksack hanging off her shoulder.
Araya- “something that belongs to you.”
I raised a questioning eyebrow at her as she reached into the bag. A few moments later, she pulled out a golden necklace with a circular charm hanging off the edge. The charm was sections of into four equal parts. The top left section taken up by an elegant flame captured in gold.
Mia- “what is this for?”
Araya- “it symbolises the four different elements. There are four types of neckless in the world, each belonging to a different royal, yours being fire; that’s why your section that if filled in has a flame. The other three consist of a bronze necklace, with an autumn leaf in the bottom right corner, for earth. The second is silver, with a wave in the top right corner, for the element water. Then the final one is made of zinc and in the bottom left section is a cloud, for the final element air.”
Mia- “wow…”
Araya- “yeah I know.”
She handed me the necklace and I put in my back pocket, meaning sure not to lose it.
Araya- “then there’s this.”
Her hand extended to me, handing me the second object in her bag. It was a crown. The gold had been shaped into stunning floral patterns, encasing multiple ruby red gems splattered symmetrically around the front of the crown.
Mia- “does the other elements have one of there to?”
Araya- “yes, but theirs is specific to their power and matching to their necklace.”
I nodded my head in recognition, both of use just sitting in silence. After around five minutes had passed, she spoke up again.
Araya- “you could come back with me you know, re-join with the rest of the family and be where you belong.”
Mia- “I can’t, that’s not where I belong. I belong here, with my pack.”
Araya- “I’ve heard about your friendship with the McCall pack. If he hurts you, call me, I will unleash the whole Calavera family upon him.”
We both chuckled under our breaths.
Mia- “will you still hunt them?”
Araya- “not if they are with you, it’s in our code.”
Mia- “thank you.”
I looked her, my hazel eyes meeting her rough brown ones; a close-lipped smile forming on her lips.
Araya- “well I better get going, I’m needed for some business back in Mexico.”
She led herself out to the door and before I could close it behind her, she held out her hand; signalling for me to keep the door open.
Araya- “just remember, my demonio molesto. You never left her, she left us.”
I grinned a pitifully smile at her as I watched her turn away and walk off towards an off-road car with tinted out black windows. The necklace burning a hole in my pocket as I locked the door and ran up to my room to call Deaton.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count: 1843