[Arc 13] Ch.4 The Devils?

[Sebas]

"Actor. Why did you lie to me?" I said from the safety of having my boot on his neck. This handsome blonde idiot laughed. Until I pressed my boot down harder.

"Glah... ok ok I lied, but it was for your own good." Actor said while on the floor of the local inn we'd been using. It was after dark on our usual meeting day for updates. But I had to hear this.

"I figured you would get too complacent if you knew they were patiently waiting. Geh!" He still smiled shamelessly from under my boot and I finally let him stand up after considering his point for a moment.

"I don't like it, but you have a point." I said.

"Ease up on him, love." Liz said while sitting on the bed. "He deserved the beating for lying, but even I had a gut feeling that it was a show."

"They weren't even committed to it." Actor said as he sat up.

"So I was the only one fooled?" I asked.

"Which is ironic because they probably did it so passively so you wouldn't be fooled." Liz said.

"But it all worked out in the end right. You should be thanking me." Actor said, cracking his neck and rubbing his jaw.

I was venting a little. But I knew that Actor was no pushover, and he basically left Boss Tir for me. I held my hand out for him and helped him to his feet, I also resisted the urge to punch his him in stupid smug face but held back since I know that it wouldn't do anything. Especially, since the situation had resolved itself.

"Alright what can you tell me about our situation?" I asked.

"My contacts and I have been able to confirm your suspicions." Actor answered. Most of the churches have libraries and the bigger ones have libraries with restricted areas. Most of the restricted book had information on blood magic or records of the skeletons those churches have been hiding in their closets for a long time. But there is nothing in any of them about any other devil than the one sealed in the pit. There were some juicy things about the clergy, but nothing about the gods. Seems they've been on the up-and-up or better at hiding their tracks."

"Well the problem lies in that ambiguous part where neither the Divine Spirits nor the original Devils were fundamentally evil. Their natures just clashed to the point where one felt they had to exterminate the other and I think it is too convenient that there isn't a trace of them left." I answered.

"You know I'm not one to pry, my friend, but getting involved with the gods' dirty laundry... well let's just say I like knowing what I'm up against when I know I'm getting in over my head. Gods and Devils. My friend, just what are they?"

I walked over to the table set up and sat down in one of the two chairs and motioned for Actor to take a seat. This was going to be a long night.

"In the end it is all about power and immortality from what I understand. Divine spirits, name given to the final growth stage of spirits being of pure magic. They are so powerful that they are worshiped as gods, and for the most part they act as gods, kings, stewards, what have you, over their chosen flock. This much you probably know." I explained. "But many untold years ago there was another group that rivaled the Divine Spirit in power and also had managed to obtain immortality in the process."

"The Devils." Actor said.

"Or at least, that's what they were called as soon as distinguishing between the two were made. Gods and Devils." I answered. "But I have yet to confirm whether they called themselves Devils or if it was a result of the 'how the Victors portray history' effect. What I do know, is that the leader of the Devils in the Great war of the Spirits that took place at that time, was none other than the Queen of the dragons the most powerful 'Devil' of her generation."