[Arc 14] Ch.2 Kraken Prince

[Elkwood]

"If you are so involved in this situation, why would the Grand Magus consign you to this job?" I asked.

"Let's just say the money is good. And I am one of the few parties that has an invested interest in the survival of Turner and the Sorcery class." By Prince Flint's response I could tell there was just a little more to it as the greed in his eyes was hardly hidden from the moment that we met.

"And how should we refer to you. As Prince Flint or perhaps Captain?" Prince Vance asked.

"I prefer Captain Flint. Nothing starts more unnecessary fights than having people call me prince. I'd like a quiet trip if possible. I'll pick my own fights when I need to in the meantime." Captain Flint said with a dangerous smile.

"I have hired some adventurers. I hope you will be able to get along with them." Vance nodded.

"So long as they are willing to work with me there shouldn't be any problems." Flint nodded.

"Then I look forward to meeting the rest of your crew." Vance said diplomatically.

"Luckily, you've already met most of them but let me introduce you to my loyal first mate and the two other captains under my command." Flint grinned while leaning back in the chair.

The sound of chairs scraping on the floor echoed behind him as every single guest in the restaurant stood up at the same time. Each one wore a red scarf, bandana, arm band or something like it with a black skull and crossbones either fully revealed or like Flint it was slightly obscured by the creases in the fabric. A dusky skinned woman with a red scarf tied like a headband in her sun-bleached hair walked over from a nearby table.

Her name was Satiri and she was... very well shaped but before I could hear the names of the other captains, I felt a heel stomp on my foot from Lady Ulster next to me and a kick in the shin from prince Vance across from me. Stop staring, I get it. I would've rolled my eyes if not for etiquette.

"When we get to Elkwood, I will make suitable accommodations for both your men and your ships." I said diplomatically while both my shin and foot throbbed. "I Thank you in advance for your assistance. I will simply advise that my lands are populated with many former slaves and that your people keep their manners about them regarding such matters. We can be very hospitable, and I hope to show you only the best we have to offer. I know the Sugarstalk wine we make can be too much for some visitors but other than our Elkwood Rangers it is the pride of my people." I said cordially with a subtle warning. "I look forward to sharing a drink with you when we arrive."

Flint's grin grew. "I look forward to it."

When he left another dozen pirates dropped from the ceiling and appeared from hiding places under tables and just outside of sight. Only our people remained when they vacated the restaurant.

"The Kraken was it?" the prince mused.

"Excuse me?" Lady Ulster questioned.

"Lady Ulster do you know of Iceburgs?" Prince Vance said as he sipped his wine from dinner.

She nodded her head.

"Iceburgs..." the prince cast a simple spell and made a small chuck of ice. He then dropped it into his wine. "...Like this piece of ice, it floats in water, but if you are in a boat you will only see the top of it. But looking at it from the side like this is the only way you will understand there is so much more under the surface."

"The Kraken, is the name given to the Demon Beast King of the sea off the shore of the lost Peninsula." Vance swirled the glass around. "Like the iceberg we only have stories from survivors regarding what they've seen above the surface. But a few accounts reveal an even larger, more frightening, monster lurking beneath the surface."