[Arc 12] Ch. 10 Magic Words

[Turner]

I tried to be natural, or at least as natural as I could as Shannon Arledge and Magus Katherine Kallit stood in my classroom. Each of them had transfer papers.

"I'm confused. Why did you choose now to join the Sorcery course?" I asked the Elven princess.

"I have to keep my word to mister Hyde, we had a competition and he defeated me handily." Shannon reported.

"Magus Kallit, I remember you had... misgivings about Sorcery. May I ask why you are joining my class as a student?" I asked.

Shannon turned around to Magus Kallit and was obviously surprised by that announcement.

Magus Kallit stood up straight. "I swore to Princess Arledge's parents that I would oversee her education in every capacity. I have no intention of disrupting your class so I decided I might as well join it in its official capacity."

"Alright then, well sit down and we'll do some review to help you get in the mindset of sorcery. Why don't you take your seats and lets have everyone pull out a pen and a paper." I said and motioned for the newcomers to sit down.

"One by one, I'll have each of you make a circle. The catch is that you can't make the same circle as the person before you." I said and sat on top of the table at the front of the classroom.

"Shannon we will start and end with you once we go through everyone." I directed.

Shannon's was pretty cut and dry she drew a circle on the paper.

Magus Kallit folded the sides of the paper in to meet and drew a circle on the flaps.

"Hazel... Hazel!" I shouted at my slumbering sister.

"Ah wah what?" She jumped using on hand to pull a strand of hair out of her mouth.

"Make a circle." I directed.

She raised her arms and made a circle shape with her bunny ears.

When I rolled my eyes and accepted it, she promptly rested her head on the desk and began snoozing again.

Sevran was next and made a couple round portals in the air. He stuck his and through them and completed the assignment.

Jekyll made poured a circle of salt on the table and made it float.

Liz cast a spell and pulled a round block of wood from the desk and put it back.

Constance came up to the front of the room and drew a large circle on the chalkboard.

Nerys winked at me and blew a kiss at me making a circle of illusion magic flutter in the air.

Gareth poured some water on the desk, froze it, and peeled it off.

Macsen walked up to the chalkboard, he drew a smaller circle in Constance's and quickly shaded in the space between the two circles.

Raven was last and drew a circle of fire in the air with the palm of her hand. It hung there long enough for me to nod and then dissipated.

When I turned my attention back to Shannon she was a little wide-eyed at the casual chantless magic my students had used.

"Miss Shannon, it is your turn again." I said.

She looked down at her paper for a long moment then shyly held up her hands making a circle with her thumb and forefingers.

"Good." I answered with a smile.