𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓

Without wasting anymore time, I decided to drive my way to Taehyung's house in search of answers.

I saw him talking to two police officials leaving the house, perhaps they were here again to interrogate him about the death. He was quaking in shock as if he was the one who had committed the crime. The moment they left, it was my cue to go in.

"Tae..." I softly called out from my parted lips when I entered in, to find him standing pale, greeting me an Anneyong in an almost inaudible voice.

I was here to sympathize with his pain, but here the thought of even touching him made me disgusted with myself. He was completely heartbroken and it was because of me. Even though I wasnt the one who killed Sana, I felt guilty to find Taehyung in a condition like this.

"I'm sorry Tae..." I whispered as I held him in my arms. He couldn't bring out his emotions, so he stood still, not reciprocating my hug.

I genuinely felt sorry for him.

"I...I don't know Lisa....what I should be doing, saying right now....especially after knowing she...killed herself because- because of me. That's how pathetic I am..." Was all he could respond with, before breaking down in tears.

It had never happened before.

Taehyung was crying.

"I found her note....she..." He couldn't complete his sentence as he kept sobbing.

"No no Tae, don't take this all on yourself please, the only reason why you separated because she cheated, it wasn't your fault either." I justified, trying my best to calm him down.

The very next moment, he took a step behind, breaking away from me.

"I'm sorry Lisa." He uttered.

"Sorry? For what Tae? Why are you apologizing to me?" I was confused.

"I went over to her place last evening..." He crossed his arms as he spoke between continuous sobs.

"But why?"

"Lisa I don't know how I shall phrase this...but I," he paused with a sigh before continuing ㅡ "I went to her place to fix things with her, t-to get back with her."

I felt a sharp pain in my heart, as if a knife had been stabbed deep into my chest. I started to realize that I was failing the mission.

"You went there to talk through with her? Which means...."

"Which means I wanted her back in my life. I wanted to know, what made her cheat when everything was going great between us. I wanted to forgive her and start afresh again. I somehow haven't felt a deep connection between us Lisa. It's like you've been very distant, thinking about something else everytime we are together."

He was right; whenever I was with him my mind always drifted to Jungkook.

"So what am I to you Tae? Was I just a side chick in your eyes?" I asked in a broken tone, refusing to believe any of his words.

"Lisa, I can't...I guess we know where we're headed at...." He bit his pale lips, looking at me with bloodshot eyes.

"Taehyung, I really want to work on us and be with you..." Tears rolled down my cheeks.

"I can't do this to you Lisa..."

"So...are we breaking up?" I reluctantly asked, with a ray of hope that he doesn't want to step away from me. Because I'm failing this mission if he lets me go.

"I need a break from all this. Maybe because of the trauma I can't think straight now. I'll give you a call once I get back on the project. I need some time to get over it, please."