Chapter 49

"I'm going home." She said, her eyes skittish, not willing to look at him for more than a few seconds. She had not said anything when he had cried his heart out on her shoulder, but in the morning when they woke up cuddled on the couch, she had realized. 

She needed a break. She desperately needed to get away from all the chaos in Asgard. And much as the thought repulsed her, she realized that she needed a break from her fiancé. And so she had blurted out her decision, her hands fidgeting with Riptide in her pocket.

The flash of hurt which crossed his face for a moment had made her feel extremely guilty, and she had almost dispelled her desire, but then she knew that if she did so, she would regret it. So she kept silent, not wanting to see his beautiful eyes, which unknowing to her were brimming with unshed tears.

She was surprised when he took her hand and covered it with his own. His warmth seeped into her as he gave her a comforting squeeze, urging her to look up. It was his understanding which made her comply, lifting her head slightly till she looked deep into the shadowed eyes. He looked so sad, yet so empathetic that she felt the hurt deep inside her, pulsing wildly, aching to be let out. 

He brought his hand up, guiding hers, to his lips, and gently placed a kiss on the ring which nestled on her ring finger. 
"Go, my love." He whispered and let her hand go, suddenly making her miss the warmth which surrounded it a minute ago. 

Feeling numb, she pulled her hand away and nodded, turning away. In a few long strides she was out of the room, making the pressure on her chest lessen. She had not realized, but she had been suffocating in his presence. She took a few deep breaths outside the room, leaning her back on a nearby wall. 

Breathing heavily she noticed that her mind was chanting a phrase. I'm going home, it said. Slowly happiness blossomed in her heart, as she remembered that she was going to meet her family, her mother, Paul, Estelle. Annabeth and Grover. Her friends. 

She heaved herself off the wall and started towards her room, already planning what she was going to do, what she was going to pack. Her pace hastened, her eager hopes encouraging her feet to run. She leapt across the halls, giving wide smiles to all the staff and servants who acknowledged her. Her good mood was contagious, making them smile instantly.

After the prince's and Persia's 'dispute', both of them were so glum, but seeing the Greek heroine so animated lifted their sprits immensely. She received tiny waves with grins as she ran past them, tousling hair and blowing skirts. 

Persia was ecstatic, but a bit guilty of feeling happy. She had hurt Thor and the fact did dampen her mood, but after being deprived of her friends and family for so long made up for it. She refused to feel bad. 

And while she was thinking of home, her fingers were unconsciously twirling her engagement ring, the diamonds glinting as if they knew a secret no one else knew.