Chapter 44

Diamonds. That's what it looked like. Shimmering, shiny diamonds scattering light, turning it into beautiful colors. 

Bending water had never taken her much effort, it was almost second nature to her now. Bending the flow of the water to her will, making it twist and twirl in mid-air, letting the blue of the sky peek through. It was all as simple as breathing.

She stood with her ankles in the sea, arms spread gracefully. She asked the liquid to return to its home, and it obeyed, splashing roughly back in the glittering mass of blue. The cool waves washed over her, leaving her refreshed and soothed, but still very dry.

Being a daughter of Poseidon, one of the big three, was a stressful job. At least the part where it was almost impossible to survive was stressful. But it definitely had its quirks and she should enjoy whatever she got, she felt.

Poseidon had left earlier in the morning, sleeping in a guest chamber at her coaxing. Hestia had left earlier, leaving immediately after Persia had things under control. She had left with her usual smile and a small touch on her shoulder. It gave her all the reassurance she needed. Gods didn't need rest, but she wanted him there and he was more than happy to oblige. He had cooled down alarmingly fast, something which was to be expected on someone who could turn a blue sea into cold terror. 

He was still very upset with the royal family, and so was Hestia, but she had made them see reason. They were not wrong, she had said, but it was not fair to the people. It was a marriage arranged between the gods, the people knew nothing. It was a sacred tradition, and she had put her foot down on it. She was going to win the right to rule them, and she was going to do it the right way.

She was startled out of her thoughts when a hesitant hand touched her. Quick as lightning she reached for Riptide, nested in her pocket, uncapped it, and swung, almost decapacitating the person who was behind her.

Seeing him, she flushed with embarrassment and lowered her sword. It was not the first time she had almost killed him. He had learned to expect her reflexes, but it was still hard for him to duck under the glowing bronze to avoid being headless. His mother would appreciate it if he were to remain intact, thank you. She offered him a sheepish smile to which he chuckled loudly.

"I should me more careful, eh?" Loki laughed and joined her in the water, wetting his bare feet. He was oddly casual, with a simple tunic and pants on, a lilting smile on his face. She had never seen him so relaxed. 

"Well, you shouldn't have startled me!" Percy defended as she turned to face him, causing the shallow waters to ripple. He laughed again and turned away, making it even more dramatic with the sunset causing his green eyes to sparkle.

She mentally rolled her eyes. She knew exactly why he had the stupid smile on his face and why he had his head tilted slightly. The gods were really very jobless if the had enough time to study which angle in the setting sun would made them look the prettiest. 

Her mind then conjured up a ridiculous picture where she envisioned the Olympians sitting in a classroom with Athena as the teacher. She was calculating  degrees, a crude image of a sun surrounded by thousands of numbers and angles drawn on a huge blackboard, while the gods hung on to her every word and some even taking notes. She hated how her ADHD mind was determined to scar her.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, sill watching the sky, now a darker orange, the sun barely visible. He had come to distract her from her family worries, but she had already seemed distracted enough.

"You do not  want to know."