38. Cold

I watched as Sages men piled out of the dark vans, the apparent leader pointing to the gate from which they entered as well as the backyard.

"They're targeting already," I said. We only had moments to get out of view. Marco led us to the cellar doors beside the house. We climbed in and Marco proceeded down the steps and to the door Matteo had pointed out earlier. I stayed by the cellar door to hold one side open, allowing enough light in for Marco to see the door. 

"Fuck," he groaned.

"What," I whispered. He replied but it was barely audible. I knew he was being careful to not speak loudly in case Gabriel had already made his way down.

"What," I asked again, shutting the cellar door slowly and carefully walking down the steps.

"There's a keyhole but no key," he repeated once I was closer. It was pitch black around us.

"And we can't break in if Gabriel's in there," I whispered back, trying to think.

"Turn around," Marco whispered. He was extremely close all of a sudden.

"W-what?" He didn't repeat himself, instead sliding his hands down my waist and grabbing onto my hips, turning me around.

His hands trailed up my back until the pads of his fingers met the bare skin of my neck. His hands were then in my hair, patting here and there.

"What the hell are you doing," I whispered harshly, causing my words to hiss.

"Pin," was all he said. I felt the loose hairs that the pin was holding in place fall onto the base of my neck.

A silent click of the door seemed to echo in the silence and darkness between us. We waited a moment, mostly to hear if anyone was there before Marco pulled the rather silent wood door. Light flooded our eyes as we walked in.

The guard that was there earlier was gone, leaving us with Cane. We heard soft cursing and harsh breaths as we approached his cell.

"You guys are early," Cane said through chattery teeth. It felt as thought the temperature had dropped significantly.

"Change of plans... again," I said.

"Why? What happened," he asked, rubbing his arms riddled with goosebumps.

"Gabriel— at least Zhara think it's him— is here," Marco told him.

"Are you okay," I asked Cane. He was shivering incessantly. I licked a finger and got closer to the bars of the cell, touching one ans watching as the bar pulled my skin before finally releasing; a method I'd learned.

"What did your finger do to you," Cane said through his breath while I stared at the red mark forming on my finger.

"The temperature's dropped for sure," I said.

"I think it's on a timer," Cane said. I turned to Marco about to ask him to open the gate, but when I looked at him he was frowning looking at Cane strangely.

"What," I asked. He looked at me and eased, shaking his head.

"Nothing."

"Okay. Get him out before he freezes to death."

"He's fine," Marco muttered as he dug into his pockets.