24. No More Whiskey

Zhara POV

Marco had rushed me and Sofi out yesterday after his sudden detachment. Those three words, "I remember everything", meant more to him than I knew. But his reluctance to elaborate and his I-have-work-to-do excuse told me it wasn't something he wanted to discuss any further.

So I let it be and took Sofi home. My second session with Gerald had ended a few hours ago and would've been paused if it hadn't been for my mom. She picked up Sofi after I'd called Marco four times to ask if he was getting Sofi again. The calls were all ignored and I was left wondering what the hell happened yesterday.

"Mama, I wanna talk Italian," said Sofi as she pushed aside a brocoli.

"Speak, Sofi," I corrected, which she missed.

"Huh," she said with a silly expression.

"You want to speak Italian. You speak a language. Talking is—."

"Oh yeah!" She palmed her face with her small hands. "Speak. All the kids in class speak Italian."

"Hmm, all of them? I thought it was bilingual," I questioned. My mom spoke next.

"It is. The kids speak English too but she means that they can speak both."

"What Tatik said. So can I?"

"Sure. I don't see why not. Tatik can teach you," I said taking a bite.

"You know mines rough. I'm losing it. Hopefully being here will help," mom said.

"Daddy and Uncle Stephan can," Sofi shouted eagerly.

"If daddy would pick up the phone," I mumbled.

"Huh," asked Sofi as she leaned in with her hand behind her ear to hear better.

My mom and I laughed.

"Yes they can both teach you. I'll ask them tomorrow."

"I can ask Daddy when he picks me up," she said, grabbing her plastic Princess and the Frog themed cup.

"Um," I looked at my mom who stared at me.

"He hasn't called back?"

"He said he was busy with work and something came up yesterday while we were there which is what he's probably been working on today. I'll try again tomorrow."

Sofi liked the answer and went back to eating her food as did the rest of us.

Nightfall came quick and I tucked Sofi in. I grabbed the folder Marco had given me of the Intel the mafias had at Interpol and went down to the living room. My mom had already clocked out, leaving me alone downstairs.

I cut the lights and sat on the couch beside the table lamp. The folder held two pages of a long list of agents that were on an illegal payroll. I found Marco's intel, Alessa at the top of the page and noticed it was in alphabetical order.

I took some notes on how I was going to proceed with Saturday, and went over my profile again.

After an hour I decided to get some sleep. I set my pen down and rubbed my eyes, heading to the kitchen for some water.

"Ugh," I groaned when I noticed the mess Sofi had left when she attempted to wash her own dish. I bent over to grab a sponge from the cabinet when I heard something in the living room.

Alert, I slowly closed the cabinet and creeped around the corner. There was no one, as far as my eyes could see in the dimly lit room. I frowned and heard a door shut.