14. Times Ticking

"Oh my fucking God," I groaned as I walked to my car. Even with the already darkening sky, I could see Eriks wide frame still in the passenger seat where I left him. The chair was leaned back and he appeared to be sleeping.

To fuck with him I clicked my car alarm button and watched him have a mini panic attack as he looked around fervently.

I let out a laugh as I unlocked the door and slid in. Out of habit, I reached for my bag to put it in the back but was met with air, causing me to remember I'd left it in my office on purpose.

"shat zvarchali," he mumbled. (T: very funny)

"Yes gitem." (T: I know) I started the car but before backing out I stopped.

"You can't come with me. I'm going to go see my daughter and my mother, two people you can never come in contact with."

"Wherever you go, I go," he simply stated.

"Well make this the exception. Until I figure out what I'm going to do with you, I'm not gonna fight you off. But since I'm compromising for your ass, compromise with mine."

He gave me a boyish grin. "Oh, I will. That's the plan." When I didn't respond, he sat in silence for a moment and thought on my offer while looking at me.

"Okay. But I'll be back later to hear all about how your day went."

"No. My daughter will be in the house and if you're planning on fighting, which we will because what you're asking for won't happen, I can't have it be with her in the house."

"Fine." I was ready to rebuttal, but was taken aback by his sudden compliance.

"What?"

"I said 'fine'. As in 'okay'. As in-."

"Yeah no I got that," I interrupted. "But why so... what are you planning. I swear to God if you so much as lay a finger on my daught-."

"Your father will personally castrate me and serve the rest of my body to his people," he said. "Those are his words by the way. He said if a hair on his grandchild's head is so much as blown out of place—skk," he said, making a cutthroat motion.

I frowned at the revelation.

"How does he know about my daughter," I asked, a threatening tone laced behind my words. Erik, noticing, looked at me and once again rubbed his index and thumb together.

"Ugh. What isn't above your pay grade," I asked annoyed by his lack of information. I rested my elbow on my window and scratched my head.

"So... are you going to get out," I asked somewhat impatiently.

"Damn, you're gonna make me walk," he asked with a glint of humor in his eyes. I rolled mine.

"Where would like me to drop you off," I asked, putting the car in reverse.

"The bar you were at yesterday. Might as well have fun while I wait," he winked.

***

"Maaaamaaaa," yelled Sofi as she ran up to me. I had just walked through the door and was already tackled.

"Oof. Jeez Sof, did you grow again," I asked as I held her in my arms.

"I'm a big girl," she shrugged and placed kisses on my face. I giggled and locked the door behind me.

"Yes you are. How was school today," I asked her as I pulled a small piece of play-do from her hair.

"Gooooood," she exclaimed with wide arms. I walked us into the kitchen where I found my mom and my cousin Maïna.