31. At That Moment

I spent the next few hours watching Angelo and Sofi play. He was teaching her how to play chess, something he told me Cane had taught him. Sofi giggled as she moved the wrong piece, still not having grasped the concept. He laughed at her mistake and moved his piece, smiling brightly.

"Checkmate," he yelled excitedly. Sofi, not bothered by her loss, simply applauded her brothers win, jumping up with him. I yet again forcefully subdued my desire to breakdown at the sight, and instead applauded him as well. Marco came into the room with Natalia, Stephan, and Jessica, giving them a chance to introduce themselves.

Once the entire family had been introduced, Marco came in and shut the door. He sat beside me on his bed and watched as Angelo tried his hand again at showing Sofi where she messed up. She didn't seem to be paying attention, her leg shaking excitedly and her eyes admiring him with joy. She gave him a hug which he returned and took as a sign that she wasn't interested.

"Daddy, can we listen to music," he asked Marco.

Marco's eyes practically sparkled when he looked at them. "It's already bedtime," he replied, to which the twins pouted simultaneously.

"One song," I said.

"The Beatles, per favore,"Angelo pleaded.

"Yeah. Pair fahvoray," attempted Sofi. She didn't even know who the Beatles were, I was sure of it, but her instinct to follow lead had to do with possibly the fact that he was older—by a few minutes— and her excitement at having a brother.

Marco, during my shock, had heard Cane out and then spoken with Sofi about the meaning of this. He told her that some bad people had taken Angelo when they were both babies but thankfully Uncle Cane had saved him. It was a simple enough explanation for a five year old, who also didn't care, being more elated at the fact that she had her brother back.

"He's gonna have an old soul," Marco mumbled as he looked up the song and connected it to a blue tooth device. The yellow submarine played throughout the room and the two kids danced and marched around the room.

We watched in awe and comfortable silence, not having much to say— not because there wasn't anything to say, but because this moment needed no interruption.

We played two more songs of their choice and finally Marco shut it off.

"Okay, bedtime," he said, looking at the clock that read 9:56 pm; It was well past bedtime.

"Where... where are they sleeping," I asked while Sofi and Angelo chatted.

"Sofi said she was going to sleep with your mom... I don't know if that's changed now."

"And Angelo," I said quietly, glancing at Sofi showing him a soccer dribble with an imaginary soccer ball. 

"We could just ask them," Marco offered.

"Sofi, Angelo," I called out. His name sounded more and more beautiful every time I said it. "Where do you guys want to sleep?"

"I'm sleeping with Tatik. Tatik likes cuddles," Sofi stated the last part to Angelo. He looked confused.

"Tatik?"

"Grandma," Sofi reiterated.

"Ohhh! Nonna," he nodded. Then he looked down at his hands.

"Dov'è lo zio Cane," he asked. (T: where's Uncle Cane)

"Right here bud," Cane said from behind us. Marco and I turned abruptly and watched Cane shut the door. Angelo smiled brightly and ran up to him, jumping into his arms.