37. Now

"Ddum," Matteo said.

"Don't call me that," I stated, focusing on Angelo and Sofi now next to my mom. I didn't want him anywhere near them.

It seemed him and Rosalie had just arrived because Marco asked them a question I thoughts they would've gone over by now.

"What are you doing here," Marco asked, eyeing Rosalie. I could practically hear Canes teeth grinding as he fought the urge to probably strangle her. Him and Marco stood on guard, the rest of the family behind them on the couches.

"That bitch brought him here," said Natalia.

"I can see that." Marco started walking up to Rosalie but she positioned herself behind Matteo. Marco didn't care, ready to walk around Matteo but Matteo stuck out his cane, blocking Marco.

"I asked her to," he said.

"And we care because," asked Cane.

"Sage called me to tell me about what happened. Up until that point, he hadn't told me of your existence. Or that you worked for him," explained Matteo. "Knowing that, I figured Rosalie was your next target. When I called her and she didn't answer, I got worried and took a flight out."

"We crossed paths at the airport," Rosalie added.

"You shouldn't have even been in the fucking airport," Marco said roughly.

"I should've put more ice," mumbled Cane, pointedly staring at Rosalies sandaled and bruised feet.

"Sage is unraveling, quickly. He's unable to get a hold of Cane and his mini companion," Matteo said smiling at Angelo. "And the director of the Interpol is missing, as Sage told me numerous times on my way here— which, by the way, was a terrible idea on whoever's part that was."

"And why's that," I asked.

"Now Interpol will be onto us. They don't know it yet, but we'll become a target for them at some point."

"You say we as if you have any part in this," mumbled Cane.

"I do," Matteo began. Marco narrowed his eyes.

"I've been receiving ammunition from Sage in return for information that may be related to what he was planning. He knew Zhara was in the FBI and wanted to make sure his actions on U.S. soil would go unnoticed and if they were noticed, to make sure he was notified."

"Erik," I gritted out.

"I should've known better than to think you'd be willing to help me so quickly," Matteo said, with something lingering in his eyes.

"What is he talking about," asked Marco.

"You helped him," Cane questioned.

"No. The Erik guy she was talking about yesterday," I said pointing to Rosalie. "Erik came by with a message from Matteo and to get him off my ass I gathered some nonsense and put it in a folder."

"Sage was appeased by the fact that there were 'no new developments'. Smart of you," Matteo said. I picked up on his compliment and ignored it.

"I'm still trying to understand why you're here," said Cane.

"I want to help. With Sage flipping out, especially now that the director is missing, he's probably going to come for me. And the two best ways to do that is directly through me or through my daughter."

Marco, who was glaring at Rosalie up to that point, side glanced me. My mother snorted and Sofi giggled at her.

"He's referring to Rosalie," I clarified awkwardly when everyone looked between her and I.