Chapter 36

I eventually fell asleep in the metal chair, the videos having played round and round in my head until I was too exhausted to focus on the words that we were saying in them. I had no idea how long I had been watching them for, but I was done. I was completely and utterly done. I fluttered my eyes open in defeat, knowing what I was about to do.

If he wanted to play games, fine. I'll play along. I'll even smile while doing it if I have to. But, all games have an end. And I was going to end this one my way. On my terms. By my rules.

I glared at the videos for a few hours longer, knowing that if it's the next day that he would try and get me to eat again at some point. He wouldn't let me starve. I know he wouldn't. I wasn't going to beg for his return though, I would sit here and act stubborn. I wasn't going to cave first.

As if saved by the bell, I heard the slight click of a door behind me that I hadn't heard at this section in this video before. I think I could recite every single sound in every video I've watched, all of them doing continuous loops in my head even as the screen pauses.

"I'm sorry I had to put you through that, but it was for your own good I promise," His voice barely a whisper as he entered from behind me, almost sounding sincere. Perhaps he was, but I couldn't trust him. "I made your favourite - scrambled eggs with cheese on top. I even arranged it in a little heart on the plate for you..." He trailed off, coming into view and appearing quite pleased with himself.

I hated scrambled eggs. I hated every type of egg that wasn't a runny yolk. But for Ryan, I loved eggs. All eggs.

I gently nodded my head, as if signalling for him to take my restraints off my hands so that I could eat. I was starving, after all I hadn't eaten in what felt like forever. My wrists burned as he untied the rope, but I wouldn't show Ryan that it hurt. He would get no satisfaction out of my pain, I wouldn't let him.

I watched him, watching me as I carefully lifted the fork off of my lap, taking a small bite of the mixture in front of me. Within seconds, I had devoured the entire plate full and instantly craved more. As though Ryan could read my mind, he untied my legs and beckoned me to follow him.

Almost every bone in my body cracked as I stood up, my muscles aching from having not moved in hours. I subtly tried to relax my muscles as we walked, but it was not enough. I would need a full body massage everyday for the rest of my life to ever have my muscles feeling normal again.

"Coffee?" He questioned, turning his head back to me as he led me out of what must have been the basement and back into the kitchen I was in the other night. I nodded my head again, scared that I will no longer have a voice after not speaking in days. "You're going to have to speak up if you want some, I'm not playing some sort of charades with you forever."

"Yes," My voice croaked, causing me to cough slightly and make a scene. "Sorry, yes. Please."

He slowly walked over to the coffee machine, one that looked quite fancy for an instant coffee girl like myself, pressing many buttons while keeping one eye trained on myself. He beckoned for me to sit at the breakfast bar, obviously afraid that I would try and make a run for it now I was free. Not until I have Jamie, then I'll run.

"Here you go." He placed a cup in front of me, having assumed whether I have it with sugar and milk or not. I tightly smiled at him, my leg bouncing up and down on the stool as I patiently waited for him to mention Jamie.

I sipped on the coffee while we sat in silence, unsure about what to do next. Ryan was reading the news on his phone whilst he leaned over the bar in front of me, as if this was a completely normal situation.

"Where's... where's Jamie?" I whispered, peering over my coffee cup as I took another sip. "Is he ok?"

"Oh man, yeah! He's great, I love that kid so much!" He clicked his phone shut as if suddenly happy that I was talking to him, grinning like the devil as he looked straight at me. "He's just up in his room, I can go get him if you want? I bet he'll be so happy to see us back together!"

I stared in awe as he left me alone in the kitchen, jogging out of the room and up the stairs to go and get my little brother. Was Ryan alright? His mood had changed in literally a few seconds, as if he wasn't holding me here against my will.

Curious, I picked up my coffee cup and made my way over to the doors to the patio straight in front of me. I pressed down on the handle, knowing it would be locked but just wanting to double check. Peace of mind and all that. Just as I thought, locked. I sighed in defeat, before hearing footsteps bounding back down the stairs causing me to jump towards the sink in a frantic panic.

"What are you doing?" Ryan questioned, a clipped tone to his voice.

"Oh, just putting the coffee cup in the sink to wash - I couldn't find your dishwasher." I shrugged, before turning to look at him and seeing my favourite person in the world standing behind him.

"Amelia!" Jamie screamed in glee, racing over to me and melting my heart in the biggest hug I had ever received. I loved this boy so much, if even one hair on his head has been harmed I will kill-

"Stop fretting, I can see it in your face. He's fine, aren't you Jame?" Ryan laughed, ruffling his hair as he wandered to the fridge.

"Yep! I'm so glad you're here, Amelia! I've been having so much fun, I've even got an xbox in my room here - how cool is that? Ryan's the best," He grinned widely, before turning to the monster himself. "Can I have lunch now, Ryan?"

"Of course bud, the usual?"

"Yep!" Jamie announced, popping the p's before jumping onto the stool that I was sat on a few minutes ago.

I stood, dumbfounded, at the entire situation. I often forget how young Jamie is, given what we've been through together, so I can't blame him for trusting the guy who used to be at our house every other day by putting an xbox in his room. Any child would do the same, given the circumstances. But I do wonder what Ryan said to him in the first place to get him in his car, seeing as I had forced an image that Ryan is the bad guy into his head.

Then again, I hadn't been around for months so who could blame him for forgetting everything that happened. He was only a kid, after all. I'd have probably done the same in his shoes.

"There you go, dude." Ryan announced, placing a ginormous cheese toastie in front of Jamie's face. His eyes lit up as he studied it, before taking a large bite. He was in his blissful element, I couldn't blame him.

I watched as Ryan began to load the dishwasher up, the one which I couldn't find when in reality I hadn't even tried to look for it. I wandered around to Jamie's side, taking a seat next to him at the table, catching Ryan's eye as I did so because he was obviously checking that I was playing his sweet, little game.

Feeling slightly calmer than before, I closed my eyes briefly to try and solve the situation. Ryan would be on edge for days, watching me like a hawk in case I act up. How long would I have to play along before I saw an opportunity to escape? How long before we could be free?

"Psst, Amelia," I felt a tug on my arm, looking down at my little brother and noticing a different look on his face. "I know that Ryan is the villain! I'm just pretending for you so you can be safe."

I think my heart just exploded with relief. He was definitely my brother. And we were definitely making it out of here.

Ryan doesn't know what's coming.