Chapter 13

I sat at the foot of the staircase, staring straight at the front door before me. What if I had said too much to Carter last night - what if it would put him in danger? What if it would put him off - maybe that's why he was late for picking me up tonight? I glanced at the clock on the wall again, 12 minutes late - that was alright, right? 12 minutes was nothing in the grand scheme of things, I mean, maybe he was running late because of traffic or something.

I had never thought that I would be this type of girl - the one who is panicking over 12 minutes of time in her life, wondering if the boy that she likes was going to stand her up or not. I was definitely overthinking the situation, but after admitting part of the truth last night, I just felt... vulnerable.

Suddenly, I heard a car honk outside and a smile lit up my face. Finally. I quickly grabbed my bag, before locking up the house and heading down to Carter's car. I climbed straight into the passenger side, a cheesy grin planted on Carter's face as he stared back at me from the driver's seat. His eyes were hidden behind sunglasses, sunglasses that I most definitely wanted for my own collection.

"You're late." I smirked, eyeing up the clock on his dashboard before turning back to him. I noticed his smile grow as I commented on the time, him still not saying a word to me since I entered his car.

"I know." He replied, flicking the key so that the engine roared to life before the air con began to suddenly blast out. The cool leather felt nice on my back, I definitely appreciated the car that Carter drove. I felt his eyes on me through the sunglasses as we pulled away from my house and I couldn't help but laugh. I was definitely in a hyper mood. "You look beautiful, by the way."

"I suppose you don't look too shabby yourself." I retorted, glancing at his outfit. He was wearing black jeans paired with a white tee, a very simple outfit but one that made my stomach twist into knots. I definitely shouldn't have agreed to this date, I mean, what was I even thinking? Everything was so fresh, I couldn't possibly know whether it was safe enough yet to live my life as if my past was forgotten. "Where are you taking me?"

"Everything will be revealed in time, Amelia. Just be patient." He tapped his fingers to the gentle beat of the radio as we drove, his head turning to look at me every now and again. I watched the views through the window, enjoying how serene this town was and how there was no noise no matter where you went. There were so many little places and trinkets, hidden gems that you would come to love. It was an idealistic town, exactly one which everybody would dream about living in.

My heart raced slightly faster as we turned up a gravel road, enjoying the crunching of the rocks underneath the tires as I leant my head on the window, watching the trees pass by in a blur. We eventually reached a small car park at the end of the road, where we swiftly parked up being the only car in the car park. Carter hopped out of the driver's seat, running around to open the passenger door for me as he faked a curtsey.

"Wow, I guess chivalry isn't dead after all." I laughed, rolling my eyes as I took his hand and hopped out of the car. He shut the door behind me, before walking to the boot of his car and opening it up. "If I had known you were this chivalrous - I'd have asked you out myself. Although, if you're planning on shoving me in the boot of your car and kidnapping me right now, I think I'll pass."

"You're always so focused on the negatives, Amelia," Carter laughed, pulling a basket out of his boot before shutting it and smiling at me. "I know I said dinner, and I had booked us a table at a restaurant, but this afternoon I felt like taking you on a picnic instead. Hence why I was late."

I followed him up a trail to a quaint little spot on a hill, completely deserted except for the two of us. I watched as he laid out a blanket on the grass, staring in awe at the life that I was currently living. It felt as if I was in somebody else's shoes - living a life I never thought would be possible for me again. I sat down across from him, staring at him as he took the food out of the basket and placed it between us. If I was on my period, I think I would be sobbing right now.