Chapter 6

As I headed out on my run the next morning before school, I mapped out in my head where I was going to move to in a few months. I knew I couldn't stay here forever, and I felt as though my time was almost up in this place. The days were becoming repetitive and people were starting to ask questions about my life, which was always a sign time was almost up.

I stared out at the sunrise from the bench, thinking about how much I was going to miss this place and all the memories it holds. I wonder what I should do about the house - maybe it was finally time to sell it? I mean, it's not like our family will ever be making new memories there. That chapter was most definitely over.

I reached the school as the bell went, meaning that I was already late to class - so what was the point in rushing now? I wandered down the empty corridors, apart from the few stragglers that were like me, making my way towards the changing rooms as gym was our first class today.

I made my way down the sports corridor, taking time to look at the photos on the walls of all the sports achievements. I couldn't be bothered with the day, so I didn't care if I was late. Looking at the photos was more of an excuse to be even later to class, so I would study every single person in the pictures if it meant I could stay in this corridor for longer.

"Oh, hey Amelia. Are you coming to class or..?" I turned around from the photograph I was looking at to be greeted by Matt coming out of the sports office, already dressed for gym class.

"Yeah," I trailed off, my eyes about to leave the photograph of a football team as I noticed something familiar. The blonde haired boy stared back at me, holding up a trophy with his teammates all lifting him up into the air. He seemed so... familiar. I was about to ask Matt if he knew anything about it, when I was rudely interrupted.

"Ms Heart, you do know class is not optional, do you not?' Her bitter voice made my blood boil, her foot tapping against the floor as she glared at me.

"Oh really? No, I definitely did not know that. Maybe, if you'd been actually teaching us these past few weeks instead of constantly making us run laps of the field I would know better, do you not think?" I mimicked her tone, when I saw Matt cover his mouth to hide the smirk that had appeared on his face.

"Get in that changing room and change, now! I will not accept that tone from you, young lady." She sounded just like my mother when she was angry, and I was not going to be spoken to by anybody like that except my mother.

"You haven't even asked me why I was late." I said, glancing back at the photograph on the wall. "If you cared, you might have asked me why I was late."

"Why does that matter? I am not your counsellor, I do not need to know about your personal life. I do need you to be present in my gym class, though." She responded, before snapping at Matt to stop observing and get to class. "You are making me late for my own lesson, and I will not stand for that."

"If I'm honest, I'm just not feeling this class today," I replied, not looking back at her. "I'm going to go to the library, instead. Do with that what you will." I almost whispered the last part of my sentence, before noting the year of the photograph and heading to the library.

I didn't look back at Ms Short, not caring to learn about the length of detention that she's going to try and make me attend. I won't need to attend if I leave though, so that's exactly what I planned to do. But first, I needed the library.

I scanned my card on the gate to let me in, heading straight for the yearbooks in the back corner. The library was two storeys, with dust lining most of the shelves as very few students appeared to use it.