Chapter 24

I couldn't see clearly, not because of the tears but because of the raging fire that had now begun inside the car. The fire had no mercy; growing fast and large within seconds, before one final explosion sent everybody flying into the air.

I shot up in the bed, breathing uncontrollably as I swatted the fire off of my body that I could feel. It was everywhere, it was all around the room, everything burning down piece by piece. The explosion seemed to have carried on into my reality, as I felt my entire body burning to a crisp with the flames. I tried to hit the flames away, but they were only growing larger and I felt glued to the mattress as I desperately attempted to free myself.

"Hey, hey! Amelia! It's okay!" Large arms wrapped around my body, trapping me so that I could no longer fight the fire away. I shut my eyes tight, desperate for everything to just stop as my skin was just getting hotter. My breathing was heavy as I desperately fought to keep out the smoke, coughing as I inhaled too much. "Amelia! It's not real! Amelia, it's okay! I promise... just open your eyes, Amelia. Open your eyes."

I was shaking as I took a steady breath in, the burning sensation overtaking my entire body. As I opened my eyes carefully, tears escaped when I noticed that everything was alright. I held my arms out in front of me, turning them over as if inspecting them, almost in disbelief that I wasn't on fire. It all felt so real.

I sobbed into Carter's arms, leaning into his body as if he was my only lifeline. I needed him, I needed him more than I ever wanted to admit. This past week of not speaking to him had been torture, and yet if I had seen another girl get this attached so quickly I would be thinking that she was crazy and making it up. I gripped onto him as he held me, seeing me in the most vulnerable state I think that I have ever been.

I've never been entirely alone having to face everything before. For mum, I had Joe. For dad, I had Joe. For Ryan's first trial, I had Joe. I have always had Joe, he has always come back and this time around he's just not here. It's not his fault, I mean fighting for your country is so much better than looking after your weak little sister. Because that's all I was, weak.

But I missed him, and I felt so alone without him around.

I eventually drifted back off to sleep, my mind wandering to Joe, wondering whether he's coping okay and whether I'll see him again anytime soon. He was my other half, I felt like I was missing a limb without him. I felt protected as I fell back to sleep, completely invading Carter's personal space as I was trapped with his body pressed to mine. I wasn't prepared to face the day yet, so for now I would stay in bed for as long as humanly possible.

When my eyes eventually fluttered open again, there was a large dent in the bed beside me from where Carter appeared to be missing. I looked at the time, realising he must have gone to school and once I'd checked the text from him on my phone, it confirmed it. I didn't blame him for leaving me in bed, I'm not sure school would be the best place for me to go right now. I'm not sure if anywhere is safe for me to go now.

Yawning, I sat up in bed and put on some shorts of Carter's that I usually borrowed when I was around here. I stretched a long stretch, thankful for eventually drifting back off to sleep as I felt so much better now. I needed to get my stuff and get back to my own house, I hated intruding on this lovely family. Suddenly, though, there was a knock on the bedroom door.

"Hey," Michael announced, sticking his head around the door as he opened it slightly. "I've made too much breakfast, and figured you must be hungry, what'd ya say? Meet me downstairs in ten minutes? We can talk everything through then, sort of an informal chat if you'd like."

I nodded my head, agreeing to talk to him about everything, wondering how quickly Michael would want me to get away from his sons so that they were all safe. I took a deep breath, not ready to go over the story again, not ready for any questions that Michael might have for me. I quickly changed into my clothes from yesterday which had now dried, before heading downstairs to their kitchen for breakfast.