Chapter 30

I have only ever been to this house once, when Joe and I had wanted to see where our younger brother was now going to be living. It was a large house, much larger than our house had ever been as kids and there were 3 of us. My heart panged with guilt, worrying about whether we had ever given Jamie as good of a life as he is probably receiving here with these strangers. I might never know, I might never see him again.

Stop thinking like that.

I climbed out of the car where Carter had parked across the street, the house easily spottable by the police car that was currently sitting in the driveway. It was a fancy neighbourhood, one that would definitely make the neighbours be looking out of their windows at the police car present.

The house we grew up in however, had police cars visiting the street on the regular - especially our house once Ryan was in my life. Jamie shouldn't have had that life, and he definitely shouldn't have been suffering from my mistakes in his new life here. This moment, this house in front of me... it all made it feel so real. So raw.

I gripped onto Carter's hand as Liam led the way towards the house, finally having woken up from his long nap. The sun had begun to rise again as we walked up to the front door, all of the lights on in the house indicating that they had had the same amount of sleep as me: none.

As we approached the house, the door swung open as two police officers stepped out, speaking so quietly that I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. They greeted us as we entered the slightly ajar door, knocking as Liam pushed it open. They must have thought we were just friends of the family, when it was in fact my little brother that they were wasting their time visiting the foster family for. I knew who had him, not them.

I crept forward when nobody replied, stepping lightly into the house but not wanting to be rude about it. After all, I'm pretty sure that both of them hated me - I definitely didn't want them to get a restraining order against me on top of it all. When Olivia came into view, she looked startled at my presence.

"I'm so sorry to be here like this Olivia-"

"How dare you come to our house!" She yelled, causing her husband Ben to suddenly appear by her side. He carefully stepped in front of her, trying to act as a barrier between the two of us. I always knew she hated me, but enough to scream at me?

"I'm so sorry Olivia, I tried phoning-"

"I missed your calls on purpose! This is all your fault, Amelia!" She cried now, tears falling from her face as she ran back down the hallway and out of sight.

"Wait here, Amelia, I'm just going to check on her first." Ben commented, always being the friendly medium between us both. Ben and Olivia definitely balanced each other out; Ben being the calm and collected one while Olivia panicked about everything around her.

I shut the door behind the boys, all three of us hovering in the empty hallway as we waited for Olivia or Ben to return. It felt so strange, looking around and seeing photos of Jamie on the walls. He had only been here a few months, and yet it was like he was part of their family immediately.

I didn't know whether to be happy or sad.

Ben eventually returned into the room, telling us to take a seat in the living room and that he would make us all a drink. Bless his heart, his foster child has gone missing because of me and yet he still is wanting to be the perfect host. I don't know how he can even look at me, I don't know how he hasn't just slammed the door in my face like Olivia probably wanted.

I paced the room, not being able to take a seat and relax like the boys were doing. Where was he with the drinks? I was about to find the kitchen and help when he reentered the room, three glasses of water in hand.