Chapter 15

When Monday rolled around again, I was feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world. I was actually going to attend all my classes this week for once - I might even do the homework properly too! If I was going to continue at this school until the rest of the year then I definitely needed to get on the teacher's good sides, I couldn't be leaving with poor qualifications if I wanted a good job. I felt like my own parent telling me that.

I had woken up earlier than normal this morning as Trevor and Ellen had invited me round for breakfast, apparently they had missed me since I had started back at school - we used to spend at least one morning a week having a catch up. Especially seeing as I had no friends except Liam, I used to spend a lot of time with them.

I packed my bag ready for the day and locked the house, wandering over towards their back yard where I could see Ellen sitting out on their table staring out at the beach. Our houses were practically the same, except their side gate was always open so I could easily wander around the back to save them both having to get up to come to the front door.

"Good morning, Ellen." I sang, dropping my bag on the floor as I leant over to hug her. She smiled sweetly at me as she hugged me back, before motioning for me to take a seat. I had no idea how she looked so good for her age, and especially this good being so early in the morning. I glanced around their garden, looking for Trevor as I noticed movement behind me from the kitchen.

"I made sure we bought your favourite this week, Amelia! I know how much you loved it last time!" Trevor chimed in as he exited the kitchen, carrying plates of food for the three of us. I smelt it long before I saw it, my mouth watering instantly as I realised what he was talking about: croissants. I was a sucker for a good croissant - completely random, but there was just something about this particular pastry that when coated in butter made my heart melt with joy.

"You didn't have to go to the trouble, Trev. Thank you." I smiled up at him as he placed my croissants in front of me, before taking a seat himself. He poured us all a glass of water at the table, before picking up a knife and buttering the slice of toast that he had brought out for himself. Apparently, pastries made him feel quaint. "So, what's the latest gossip with you both?" I laughed, knowing how much Ellen loved to gossip.

"Oh, dear, did I tell you about Margaret coming over last week? She brought her dog over with her and it went wild around our house - didn't it Trevor?" Ellen nudged him politely, before taking a bite out of her croissant as I did the same.

"Oh, yes. It left muddy footprints all over the carpet!" Trevor agreed, talking with his mouth slightly full. I could honestly listen to the pair of them all day, they were so normal.

"It took Trevor hours to clean the carpet after! He even went out to the shops to buy some special cleaner, but it didn't work. Oh, he wasn't happy, Amelia! You should have seen his face!" She giggled, glancing over at Trevor as he pulled a face of distress. He clearly wasn't fond of the memory, which Ellen appeared to be thoroughly enjoying.

We ate breakfast for a little while longer, before I realised the time and that I was going to be running late if I didn't head off to school in the next few minutes. I may be alright at running, but I didn't fancy being all sweaty when I turned up for class - that just wasn't a good look on me. I finished my drink, helping carry all the pots into the house as Trevor loaded them into the dishwasher.

"Amelia, while you're here, I've got something to give you," Trevor began, fumbling about in his pockets for something. I was very confused, wondering what it could be and why it would be in his pocket at this time in the morning. My confusion grew as Trevor pulled out his car keys. "For you - it's the spare. I know you have to walk to school as you don't have a car, but I remember you mentioning you've got a license. So, feel free to drive it to school whenever you need it. But, not Thursdays - we've got the doctors on a Thursday."