Year 2 - 4

Astrid entered the dorm room alone. Everybody else had gone straight to their first class but Astrid wasn't feeling particularly studious that day. Neither did she want to talk to anybody. She had purposefully left her books in the dorm, not bothering to take them, for her to have at least a partial reason to be late to class and also not walk the way to the classroom with Daphne.

She walked over to her and Daphne's shared chest of drawers where she pulled open one of the drawers where her books and parchment always lay. She grabbed the History of Magic book and sat down on Daphne's bed. The girl watched the room with tired and weary eyes.

She watched the dimly lit room and the 7 candles that were lit across it as she wondered, not for the first time, why exactly didn't wizards just use electricity or any other technologies. Wouldn't it be much easier than having to lit thousands of candles? But then again... these candles never seemed to burn out, neither did it look like it took much effort for anybody to light them. It was all simply achieved with magic. And not for the first time Astrid thought about how many muggle problems could magic help solve. There was a simple spell to just make water come from one's wand and it could help better so many thirsty and dying people's lives.

She came to the conclusion that dreary morning that life really was bloody unfair.

But she quickly shrugged those thoughts away. There was no need to make her feel even worse than she already did. Life was unfair alright, yesterday's detention had been a great example, but there was no need to dwell on it. She had to make the lives of whom she hated just as miserable. If they were all equally miserable, then it would be fair. 

Astrid quickly shrugged that thought away too; it wasn't a particularly bright idea. Had she really stooped as low as wishing mishap onto others just so she would feel better about herself? She hated the idea of that, but then again, she found it weirdly comforting.

The dark-eyed girl noticed a plate of cookies resting on Rosier's bed and stood up. A cookie would definitely make her feel better. OH! And it's a chocolate chip one! She bent down and grabbed one, not caring what Maggie would think. It wasn't like she had a great opinion of herself in Maggie's mind to ruin by stealing a cookie. Rosier didn't like Ninomae anyway.

With a cookie in her one hand and a history book in the other, she exited the room. 

Astrid walked the corridors leisurely munching on her cookie not caring if any teacher would see and scold her. Now that she had the snack, she was determined not to let anything ruin her mood even more. Boy, was she wrong...

About 10 minutes of the class had passed before she felt a weird churning motion in the pit of her stomach. She felt nauseated and felt herself slowly turning green. 

"Bloody hell," she muttered as she put her one hand over her mouth, the other on her stomach, and leaned her head on the table.

"Are you going to puke, Ninomae?" She heard Malfoy drawl from the table beside hers.

"Piss off," she quietly responded hoping that the action of opening her mouth even slightly wouldn't turn into a vomit waterfall.

She then heard Malfoy snicker and looked up only to see Maggie whipping around in the seat in front of Astrid's.

"You ate my cookie!" she exclaimed and Astrid wondered if she somehow had any chocolate left on her face that might have given her away.

Astrid just nodded not having the strength to respond as she leant her forehead back on the table.

"HA!" Maggie laughed a little too loudly, gaining professor Binns' attention.

"Miss Rozier, please turn back to the front of the class," he droned indifferently as he continued on with his lecture on medieval European wizards. Astrid's old history teacher had spoken like a 5-year-old without a clue of how to construct a logical narration, but somehow this teacher was even worse. If in her old classes she had at least spent the lessons trying to put together what the teacher was trying to say, then now she was completely zoned out.