Year 5 - 92

It was probably a very good thing they had to leave for Christmas break just two days later.

The two teens tried convincing themselves that whatever had almost happened had simply been the result of them spending too much time together and getting too used to one another. Both hoped that the Christmas break would help ventilate their minds and bring them back to normal.

The break had surprisingly turned out much better than Astrid had anticipated. Of course, she had still felt rather tense in the beginning, but apart from her occasional angered outbursts, it had gone down similarly as usual. 

On Christmas eve they had eaten their feast, watched The Sound of Music together, huddled up on the couch and simply enjoyed themselves as a family. As always, Astrid had sat amazed after the film, forever wondering what her sixteen going on seventeen year would be like. She had given up on falling in love for the time given, at least not with any of the people she currently went to school with. She didn't like anyone enough for that. But she still had hope of perhaps meeting a handsome stranger she'd feel something for.

Being back home, the memories of her imaginary friend had come back more strongly and she wondered if her unusual dreams might've been the outcome of her worry for her father (who she had noticed had been a bit more uptight lately) and not having anyone to talk to. She felt a little stupid waking up in the morning but somehow also relived. The friend listened and understood. 

It fascinated Astrid how her head made up such a character that could bring out some subconscious thoughts and give her advice she would've not expected to come up just like that. If anything, it only stroked her ego, proving she could solve things just as well by herself. It proved that her judgement was what mattered most - that was what the boy had said too.

She could draw her own judgement and if the general society thought something, that didn't mean she should too. Clearly, her dad, although a past deatheater, was past that phase and he was a loving man ready to do anything for his family. She had nothing to worry about. 

Not everyone was what they first appeared to be.

Astrid's theory of everyone having their inner sunshine was still running strong.

Draco's Christmas hadn't been nearly as peacful. Although the manor was just as empty and quiet as usual, it was obvious all its inhabitants were on edge. Draco wasn't aware, but the rest of his family had been told of the grand Azkaban escape that would take place.

On the first day back to school Astrid had been very cheerful, in high spirits and excited. She had written it off as the relief of finally returning to Hogwarts and away from her house, where she didn't feel as comfortable as she had felt her whole life anymore. 

The second day of the new term and the news in the Daily Prophet about the ten escaped deatheaters had brought her spirits right back down.

She hoped it was only a coincidence Potter was yapping about You-Know-Who's return and that some of his most devoted followers had suddenly escaped after nearly fifteen years of imprisonment.

Astrid Ninomae and Draco Malfoy had hoped that after Christmas break they could forget about all that had happened and carry on hating one another as they once had, reserving themselves to fighting and bantering. But here they were - sat down on a windowsill in an empty Hogwarts corridor, reading over the Daily Prophet for what felt like the hundredth time in a rather tense silence.

Both had known the other was the only person whom they could safely converse about the topic to. Both had craved somebody to talk about it to.

They had come to talk, but now sitting there in the empty corridor, neither could find the words. And despite the fact no real words were exchanged for a long time, both felt a little relieved they weren't wallowing in their worry alone.