Year 5 - 89

When Astrid had been little she had never had many friends. Of course, occasionally she had had some school pals and she had gone to a sleepover or two, but that had never resulted to much. As an only child, Astrid spent a lot of time alone and often she turned to her imagination to make up for the lack of company.

She wasn't lonely, or sad; it wasn't pathetic she did so. She was simply a child seeking entertainment and finding comfort in her own made-up world.

Astrid was different from other children around her. She had magic within her. Her parents had not always understood but little Astrid had never been lying when she had told them her toys played house with her, or that the flower in her room had grown bigger in order so the girl's favourite princess doll could live in it. 

The girl hadn't known what she was doing - she hadn't known she was different - but her magic had worked nevertheless simply because of the fact she believed in herself and for it to be true. That was why people growing up sometimes lost the knack for their own magic, never reaching the true potential of what they could truly achieve. One couldn't achieve something they didn't believe in. Children believed in everything.

Astrid hadn't known she was different, she had simply thought it was all a part of life. And in a way it was. She was different but that didn't mean she wasn't normal. 

When Astrid had been little she had had many imaginary friends. Though there was one she liked the most, the one whom she could trust to always show up when she was bored. It was a young boy, whom Astrid had never given a name as he had refused to tell her what it was. Eventually, she had learned to go about without his name, for she knew who he was without it.

The boy took her on adventures, and she liked him for that. The boy made sure she never got hurt, and she thanked him for that. She had always felt at ease with him. Like she could trust him...

The sunny field Astrid imagined her tiny backyard to be was a safe space where she could trust the lad with anything. She conversed with her dolls and they understood every word she said. The sun illuminated her face, sending waves of gentle warmth across it and it felt like a constant embrace of her mother.

"Ninomae!"

Little Astrid had been at peace and very happy.

"Hey, pst, Ninomae."

Older Astrid had a terrible headache and a little itchy glitter-filled bed.

"Piss off, Malfoy," came the voice of Tracey Davis, where she rolled over to the side in her bed, below the one where Rosier had pressed a pillow over her face.

"I wasn't talking to you, Davis," Draco snapped and the middle finger he received was a great indicator of where the girl stood in her opinions.

"I don't care, and I am addressing you."

Astrid tried shutting them out as good as she could to try and return to her lovely fantasy dreamland.

"Ninomae!" Draco spoke again, this time not bothering to keep his voice down as he was well aware the others were up already.

"I'm with Tracey," Astrid responded, snuggling deeper under her covers.

A kick of her mattress from beneath indicated that Daphne was not happy with the disruption either. Malfoy's suddenly rapidly approaching footsteps indicated no better.

Astrid had just barely turned around to face the blonde and question what it was he wanted when she suddenly felt the blankets being ripped off of her. Astrid gasped at the cold air suddenly engulfing her and Draco crossed his arms, annoyed the girl was taking this long.