Chapter 22: Parents

Bakugou trails after Aizawa with his head down. He knows the teacher caught a glance of his reddened eyes, but the man doesn't say anything about them as he tells Bakugou that his parents had arrived and the situation besides that day's events had been explained.

Bakugou glares at the ground. He wishes he would at least be doing this at a time that it isn't clear that he had been crying. He doesn't know what to expect. What if his parents are disgusted? What if they hate him now? What if they say it's his fault and look at him with those sneers of people who think themself superior? He doesn't want them to know. He wishes he could go back in time to when nobody knew. The people who attacked him would still be out there, but his life would be so much more simple. He shakes his head vigorously. No, they could attack more people. He's going to be a hero. He couldn't let that happen.... What if his parents decide he can't be a hero anymore? What if they decide he's too weak and withdraw him from UA?

"We're here."

Bakugou's head snaps up at the bland voice and his eyes meet Aizawa's worried ones, his teacher's brows drawn down by concern. Bakugou feels something trail down his face and frowns. He wipes at his face and glares at his teacher, whose face returns to normal as he nods and turns to the door of the principal's office. With a quick motion, he opens the door and heads inside, Bakugou entering behind him with his head held high.

When he sees his parents tearfully staring  at him from two of three seats set in front of Nezu's desk, his steps falter and his glare drops, expression replaced with one of shock.

He's never seen his mom cry. It doesn't happen. His dad has a few times. It's never like this, but he has.

His mom doesn't cry.

He stares at his mom's tearful face as she stares at him with her lower lip and chin pulling up and eyebrows creased. "Katsuki..." she calls out to him, her voice cracking as she says her son's name, and Bakugou finds himself doing something he never thought he would do. For every time his mom didn't cry, he didn't give his parents hugs. Now, though, he practically launches himself forward to his mom, the woman standing from her seat and stepping around it to meet him. Bakugou's arms wrap around her, his head pressing against her chest as she holds him to her tightly, putting one hand around his back and one holding the back of his head, her fingers running gently through his spiky hair that resembles hers so strongly.

Her son's hands grip the back of Mitsuki's shirt tightly, and she feels a wet spot growing on her chest where his eyes are. She allows more tears to fall over her cheeks as she hugs her boy, just a teenage boy still so much smaller than her, to her bosom. "My baby," she whispers brokenly as she tucks her face into his hair. "My poor baby boy." Bakugou's breath hitches and his fists clench more tightly to his mom's shirt.

Slowly, the two sink to the floor, and Masaru walks over, sinking down and circling the two in his own arms, huddling them all together. Aizawa, feeling as though he is intruding, turns away from the scene, but stands by Nezu's desk. The principal has a soft, slightly sad smile on his face as he watches the family grieve.

After a few more minutes of crying, Bakugou's hands release the back of Mitsuki's shirt, and he tries to pull away slightly. The woman holds on for a moment but releases her son, and he leans away, facing his mom with his dad to his left, the man's arms still wrapped around his shoulders. "Fuck," he mutters, voice cracking as he wipes at his tears. "Didn't want to start fuckin' crying again."

Mitsuki chuckles softly, the sound wet with tears. "Yeah, I bet you didn't, brat," she responds with fondness in her voice. She looks at him for a moment and their identical eyes meet. "How are you?" she asks quietly as her eyes look imploringly into her son's.