Chapter 34: Realization

With heavy bags under lids that feel like they weight fifty pounds each, Kirishima opens his eyes to a brightly lit hallway that blinds him. Squinting his eyes closed against the light, Kirishima fends off the headache from the sudden brightness before blinking quickly in an attempt to open his eyes again despite their weight and how badly he wants to keep them closed.

Finally making out a fuzzy shape in front of him, Kirishima blearily looks up into Shoji's friendly face. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up, Kirishima. I was just going downstairs, but I saw you sitting here and wanted to make sure you were okay," the guy explains quietly so as not to be any more startling to a groggy mind.

Blinking the sleep away slowly, Kirishima nods, agreeing dazedly, "No, no worries at all. Go ahead; I'm all good over here." Offering a large smile, Kirishima sends Shoji off.

With a groan, Kirishima plops his head back onto his knees once he is sure Shoji has exited the hallway. His joints feel creaky and angry at him for his position. His muscles scream over having too little rest. Why is he sitting here anyway? In front of.... Kirishima looks up, leaning his blob of bed-head hair against the door he sits in front of. Bakugou's room? Kirishima's eyebrows crease in confusion. Why is he...?

Oh.

Oh!

Oh, God.

Kirishima leaps to his feet with his hands up and hardened in a defensive stance, eyes suddenly wide and alert and adrenaline flowing through his protesting muscles. Looking down the hallways, in the other direction from where Shoji had gone, Kirishima spots Midnight standing guard. If she is here monitoring, then nothing could have happened, right? Kirishima feels his body sag in relief at the thought, arms going lax at his sides.

He simply breathes for a few minutes, looking between the door and Midnight before hesitantly walking over to the teacher. "Uh.... Ms. Midnight?" he asks.

The hero turns and smiles dimly at her student, clearly unhappy about yesterday's news despite how she tries to hide her gloomy thoughts from her student. "Good morning, Kirishima. What do you need?"

"I was just wondering what time it is."

Midnight blinks a few time at being asked such a simple question. "Oh! Well, it happens to beeeeee..." she draws out the word, whipping out her phone, "aaaand it's almost seven!" She smiles again at Kirishima as she slips away her phone. "That all you need?"

Kirishima's expression screams confusion, but he nods anyway, thanking Midnight and walking back toward Bakugou's door. He looks down at his feet while he walks. There is definitely not going to be school today. He knows that. But, either way, Bakugou always wakes up early to go work out. He could not have gone out without waking Kirishima up since he was sitting in front of the door all night and definitely only fell asleep around four-thirty. Even if Kirishima had not been awoken by the door opening, Bakugou would have surely made a fuss over him sitting in front of his door.

Nothing could have...gone wrong...right? The heroes have been here this whole time, and so has he. Nobody could have gotten in ever since Aizawa and Nezu got the news about the escape. Right?

Blood now racing through his racing heart, Kirishima stares at Bakugou's doorknob, hair slightly obscuring the view of his wide and terrified eyes. Please let me be wrong. Please let me be wrong. Please let me be wrong.

"Please let me be wrong," he murmurs.

Opening the door slowly, Kirishima creeps inside. Tiptoeing, hesitant to wake Bakugou up and incur his wrath if he is really sleeping in for once—Lord knows he needs it—Kirishima makes his way into the room. He eventually makes it over to the bed, arms raised out and shoulders up by his ears as he grimaces and prepares for the accidental clamor that he is probably going to start eventually.