Chapter 40: Love

"Bakugou?"

Bakugou looks to his right toward Kirishima, who sits next to him on the couch where they had been watching a random action movie for the past hour. He quirks a brow, and Kirishima whispers, trying not to disturb their three closest friends, who are asleep on the floor right in front of Bakugou and Kirishima, Kaminari and Ashido drooling on Sero's pillow of a leg. "Would you mind walking outside with me for a second?"

Bakugou narrows his eyes but nods slowly, and the two boys head quietly to the door, stepping over and around sleeping classmates, even as Bakugou scowls at each one who dares be asleep where he would walk. Outside, the sun has already set, but the school's grounds remain slightly lit by lamps on sidewalks and the moon, twinkling down at them from between some of the dark clouds swimming peacefully through the sky.

Bakugou watches Kirishima out of the corner of his eye as the two of them walk side by side. He does not know where they are going, but Kirishima's expression makes it look like the redhead is being picked apart by his anxieties. Bakugou huffs lightly, setting his eyes back forward toward the concrete pathway they are on and the trees that border it, and shoves his hands in his pockets nonchalantly.

After a few minutes of walking, Kirishima slows to a halt and glances at Bakugou, averting his eyes when Bakugou stops and their gazes meet. With a deep and steadying breath, Kirishima turns, walking toward a grassy patch away from the path in a more secretive spot, surrounded by trees and with some small blue flowers speckling the ground like freckles. Bakugou raises an eyebrow before following, watching his friend all the while. The redhead turns back toward Bakugou with a worried and significant expression once he reaches a larger tree, plopping down onto the ground and sitting with his legs crossed and patting the grass beside him nervously.

Bakugou narrows his eyes but walks over. Sitting to Kirishima's left, legs sprawled out, Bakugou leans back on his hands and looks up at the black sky that swirls with purples, blues, and dashes of glittering stars when clouds wander away. He peers at Kirishima through the side of his eye again, seeing him also looking at the sky now, even as his fingers fidget busily with the grass and a patch of the small blue flowers. "So?" Bakugou pushes gruffly, his voice prodding but not aggressively so.

Kirishima bites his lip, and Bakugou winces in sympathy when a small drop of blood wells from its corner. He does not mention it, instead waiting for some response. "Bakugou, I..." Kirishima begins, catching the drop of blood on his lip with his tongue as he licks it nervously. Bakugou averts his eyes again, staring up at the sky in wait.

"I like you," comes the gentle statement.

Bakugou feels his heart throb painfully, and his eyes widen. His head snaps toward Kirishima, who now stares at him expectantly, eyes tense and worried. The two stare at each other for a while, Bakugou's mouth gaping while red peers into red. Eventually, Kirishima turns away again, rubbing the back of his head and smiling morosely. "Yeah.... I shouldn't have done this. I'm sorry. I hope we can still be friends.... You're my best friend, after all, so I will do my best to keep things that way. I promise I won't make things awkward!" he suddenly exclaims, his voice continuing to build in volume, pessimistic thoughts usurping his mind and making his brows twist with worry. "And I know you probably aren't looking for a relationship right now! I don't even know if you like guys!" he says exasperatedly, waving his hands around. Taking a deep breath and slowly breathing out, Kirishima pins his gaze down at his lap. "I'm sorry. This was a pretty stupid idea, wasn't it?"

A humorous snort and rustling has Kirishima turning his eyes cautiously back towards Bakugou. The blonde now has his back against the tree, laying there leisurely with one knee propped up, and one of his hands is over his eyes while he smiles. Bakugou himself cannot determine whether the smile is sad or happy. Wistfulness is beginning to overpower him, as well. Really, the emotions are fighting an intense and bloody battle inside him at the moment, and he mentally curses at the liquid attempting to turn his eyes glossy.

There is silence in the clearing for a few long moments, the cool breeze's whisper and a couple of falling leaves' footsteps in the air the only sounds around them. Kirishima clears his throat as quietly as he can. "B-Bakugou?" he queries with concern.

Bakugou breathes deeply, exhaling slowly before he pulls his hand away from his face and looks back up at the sky through his spiky fringe that falls partly in his face. "Don't apologize, Dumbass," his rebuke comes, quiet and firm. He allows a few seconds of silence before he continues. "I.... I think I like you, too." He hears a sharp intake of breath. "But I just..." he chokes on his words and swallows past the clog in his chest. "I can't be with anyone for real right now. It's.... It's too fucking much."

Silence filters in once again until Kirishima's brain finally processes the words, and he smiles with relief. "No, it's fine, Bakubro," he responds, settling back down, more relaxed this time and now leaning against the tree. He is grateful more than anything else that he did not just lose his best friend. His eyes flick around from constellation to constellation as he tries to place together his next words. "Is there...uh.... Would you...do you think...ever want to...maybe..." he pauses, turning his head slightly to look over at Bakugou, face cringing slightly as he finishes, "date?"

Bakugou scoffs with a small smile, turning a bit towards Kirishima with a playful glint in his eyes. "Yeah. Yeah, I think so, you Shitty Hair Bastard. Just not yet."

Kirishima shoots up to his feet and pumps his fists in the air victoriously, a massive grin on his face. "Hell yeah! He said yes!" he whisper-screams, not wanting to draw anyone to their hidey-hole.

Bakugou, who had been momentarily surprised, snorts in amusement and rolls his eyes. Not a moment later, he looks back up at the redhead, who dances around the clearing for a bit, and watches him do so happily while crossing his arms over his chest. Eventually, Kirishima makes his way back in front of Bakugou and kneels before him with that massive shark-toothed smile and eyes shining with happiness, no room for anything on his face but joy and love. "Can I hug you?"

Bakugou offers a small smile back, rolling his eyes again. Replying, "Yeah, you can," Bakugou lets himself be smothered by his best friend, both of them smiling, and hugs back.

When, on their graduation day from UA, Kirishima gets down on one knee to ask Bakugou to be his boyfriend, they are both ready and grinning like idiots.

The End.

—————————————————————

IT'S DONE! Thank you all for being here for this (very long) journey! I hope that you like how this has wrapped up and have enjoyed the story! Thank you all again for your amazing support; I have enjoyed seeing the responses I get so much ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks again, and I cannot wait to see many of you again in my coming fics ❤️

~Angry
Word Count: 1197