eight

Rosie ordered khao thom, a kind of soup typical for breakfast. Lisa ordered khao kai jeo, which she explained was a kind of omelette. Lisa had to help Rosie a lot with the menu, because Rosie couldn't read a word of the swirling Thai script. Lisa could speak five languages fluently, according to a google search that Rosie had done the night before.

Their food was brought to them quickly, and it was incredible, albeit a little bit too spicy for Rosie's tastes.

"This is so good," She said between sips of soup.

"I know, right?" Lisa said. "It's not quite as good as when it's homemade, but it's probably better than what you Aussies eat for breakfast. What's the deal with the avocados?"

"AVOCADOOOO," Rosie whined. "I hate avocados," She said.

"I don't hate them, they're just weird for breakfa-"

"AVOCADOOOO," She continued, curling her hands into fists.

"Okay. Apparently not all Australians like avocados," Lisa said with a laugh. Rosie laughed too, taking another bite of soup.

"They're weird!" Rosie said.

"Of course. There isn't anything like them in texture." Lisa said with a laugh.

The girls continued on like that for what felt like forever and no time at all at the same time. Before they knew it, they had empty bowls and a check was brought to them and handed right to Lisa.

"Hey, wait, let me help! You just have your cafe money right now, right? Don't spend it on me!" Rosie protested, but Lisa was already signing the receipt.

"No can do, Rosie." She said with a smile. "Royal orders."

"Lisaaaaa," Rosie wailed.

"Rosieeee," Lisa returned.

"Pleaseeee let me split it with you," She said.

"No." Lisa returned, her brows arching and her eyes playful.

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"YES!" Rosie yelled, lurching across the table to try and grab the check. Lisa pulled it away, and Rosie stood up out of her chair and stalked around the small circular table to grab the check from Lisa.

"Lisa," She said expectantly, furrowing her brows. Lisa looked up at her with an expression Rosie couldn't quite pin down.

Rosie reached out for the check, and Lisa pulled it away, causing Rosie to fall onto her.

"Ack," She said, getting up and looking at Lisa. "That was on purpose!" She said, and Lisa snickered.

"Is it really such a crime that I want to pay for breakfast? I asked you here, so I should pay," Lisa said, and Rosie punched her arm.

"Hey!" Lisa cried, and Rosie took that opportunity to grab the check. She crossed Lisa's signature out and put her own, throwing Lisa's credit card at her and putting her own in. Just then, the waiter came in and Rosie handed him the check. He smiled and walked away.

"That was foul play," Lisa said, and Rosie laughed.

"Maybe so," She said, mimicking the smirk Lisa had done before to her.

Lisa rolled her eyes, and the waiter brought back Rosie's credit card. She had learned that it was customary to leave spare change as a tip, so she dumped out a few thai coins from her wallet before the girls left the restaurant.

〣〣〣〣〣〣〣〣〣

Lisa had never met anyone quite like Roseanne Park. Someone so unbothered by celebrity, so playful, so bold. She hadn't ever met anyone who made her feel so much like she could spend the rest of her life with her. But Lisa couldn't bear to think about the reality of the situation- that she would soon have to say goodbye to Rosie, possibly forever, It wasn't like their relationship could have gone anywhere anyways- not without both of them seriously giving something up. Lisa didn't think that the Thai people would be quite so accepting of a monarch that couldn't bear children. And she was an only child, so if she gave up the throne, it would go to her uncle's children.
Lisa didn't really even know why she was trying with Rosie at this point- it would only break her heart more. But she wouldn't think about that, because something inside her made her know that she had to take this, because she might not ever feel this strongly about someone again. So that was how she came to be walking down the street, arms linked with Rosie, sunglasses and hats on both of them. They went to shop after shop, trying on clothes they would never buy, getting samples of every sweet treat they saw, and purchasing random knick knacks. Rosie bought a small glass Pikachu for Jisoo, and said that Jisoo was a big fan of Pokemon and was always playing the games.

"Pokemon? Really? Jennie and I play Mario Kart," Lisa said.

"I bet Jennie's good at it, she's very competitive," Rosie replied.

"Hey!" Lisa said, punching Rosie in the arm playfully. "You don't think I'm good at it?"

"Are you?"

Lisa paused.

"So what games do you play?" She asked, and Rosie laughed.

"I mostly play Animal Crossing, They're so cuuuute," Rosie said, and Lisa laughed.

"Of course you play Animal Crossing." Lisa said with a laugh.

The girls talked and laughed as they spent their day together. Eventually, they would go and find a shady spot under a tree in the middle of a park with nobody around. Lisa would put her hand on Rosie's leg, and Rosie would feel her heart flutter and look over at Lisa, and this time she would kiss Lisa first. Until then, and then, and even after, the girls would spend each moment together like it was their last, because they both knew that it very well could be.