Chapter 8 : Fundraiser

Hope you're liking the plot so far and thank you guys for reading :)

Sterling's POV

    "Blair,hurry.We can't be late for church.You know how Mom is." I rushed Blair and looked over my outfit again.

April is gonna be there and everyone else,afterwards we'll all be heading to the community centre for the fundraiser.

      "I know,I know." Blair steps out of her room in a cute oufit today.A white off shoulder and black jeans.

      We drove all the way to church and got there in time,where everyone was settling in.We found Mom and Dad and sat beside them.

        "You're lucky you're here.It's about to begin."
Mom said and both of us smiled nervously.

         The service started and I glanced over the Stevens family where April and her Mom were there.

After being shone from the community,they managed to get back up as April's mom got a decent job.They were welcomed back but some of the families still frown upon them.

           She looked behind and smiled at Luke,who smiled right back at her.

           Right,she has a boyfriend.

         Once service was over,I wanted to reach out to April but she was clearly sticking by Luke's side.Blair pulls me to one side and let our parents walk out first.

         "What are you doing?" Blair asked in a hushed tone.

        "Urm...nothing?" I answered and she gave me the  'You know what I mean' look.

         "I was just looking at April and I wanted to reach out to her." I sighed and Blair puts a hand on my shoulder.

          "Make her jealous,then she'll talk." Blair suggested and I did that before,and it was honestly really fun.Although,it didn't sound or was anything close to my usual self.

          I just nodded and walk out to go to the community centre for the fundraiser.Everyone was going to be there and I'm glad I took the last shifts so that no one would know I was in it except for Luke,Blair,April and my parents.

           "Welcome to the fundraiser! Do support the booths and know that all your contributions will be going to Goodwill charity.God bless you." Jack announced at the entrance as he greeted everyone.

         Our booths were all set up and the first shift was Eric so I went over.

          "Hi there." I said and he looks up and smile at the sight of me.

         "Hey Sterling!Would you like a sip of my finest brewed coffee?" He said and handing me his Starbucks coffee.I laughed and he chuckled.

         "I think it doesn't count but since it's your coffee now." I smiled and bring the coffee to my lips and the warm coffee slips in between my lips.

       "I'll see you later,Eric." I said and bring along the coffee with me.I could hear his chuckle and I couldn't help but smile.

      Mom and Dad bought tons of cupcakes and scones for us,and even bought a book.It was unlike them but I guess it's for a good cause.We settled down by sitting down at a far table on the left,while the fundraiser continues to unfold.

     "Is the cupcakes enough because I can get more if you'd like." Dad offered and both of us shook our heads.Too much sugar can make us really hyper.

     "I think that would be enough sugar for one day,honey.How about we get them some lemonade at the drink booth?" Mom suggested and intertwined her hands around Dad's arm,pulling him away.

      "I think they're gonna hook up." Blair stated and I choked.

      "Eww,no! It's probably all the sugar making you really high." I said and scanned the hall.Everyone was getting all the items being sold in each booth,
bearing at no cost to leave any of it out.

     I guess it's a competition to see which family has done a 'good deed' by contributing to charity.

      "Look at that,it's the girl with the green eyes." Blair pointed out in the crowd and I tried to follow Blair's eyes and it was Rachel.

     I went up to greet her and she wraps her arms around me and gives me a hug.I was caught off guard and wrapped my hands on her waist instinctively.

     Oh,okay.

      I smiled nervously and pulled away from her.

     "Hey Rachel..." I started and she smiles.
    "Hi,Sterling! I'm glad you're here.I mean you're technically here since you punched Brian." Rachel said and I laughed.

    "Yeah..so did you get anything?" I asked her and she shooked her head.

     "Not really but maybe you can help me." She turns around and takes my hand,pulling me into the crowd.I look at our hands,intertwined.

Her grip was just like April,firm,and coming from someone who I just got to know seems to be pretty comfortable with me.

I let her lead me through the crowd and we stopped at Eric's booth.We got a few used items and bought a cookie with a lemonade.We went to the other corner of the hall,where Luke and April were apparently.

We sat at the empty table and Rachel takes a bite of her cookie as I made eye contact with her.

"You know that staring isn't a really good idea when someone's eating." Rachel stated and I looked away,chuckling nervously.

"But I guess it's a good stare." Rachel added and I looked back up,smiling.April was looking at us but apparently she couldn't see Rachel since her back was facing April.

It was a good opportunity to make her jealous.
Although,it kind of establish our relationship of being a toxic one.

Making each other jealous to make the other party talk? Sounds like the start of a toxic path and I don't want that with April.

I divert my attention back to Rachel and we continued to talk.She's really touchy though,stroking my hand and moving closer to me every time I point something out.

I guess she's ....flirting? Rachel, a straight pretty girl with green eyes? Sounds impossible to believe but her actions proves otherwise.

"Rachel,are you.." I wanted to ask her sexuality but considering that my judgement can be wrong,I eased back on the question.

"Do you listen to girl in red?" I asked and she frowned.

"Girl in red? Is that like a band?" She guessed and I nodded.

"Yeah...totally." I chuckled nervously and brushed off the subject,knowing I got the answer I needed.

"Do you want a bite of this cookie?" Rachel asked and I politely decline.

"Cmon..it's good." She brings the cookie to my mouth and I reluctantly took a bite,feeling the crunchy texture of the cookie.

"This is good." I said,with my mouth still filled with cookies.We both giggled and ended up staring at her lips.

April comes out of nowhere and surprisingly took my hand,leading me off.

I looked back to see a stricken Rachel.

What on earth is April doing?