14║First Exposition

Warning: Verbal Abuse. READ WITH CAUTION AND YOUR OWN RISK.

Quicker and quicker did Czarina eat, shoving large portions of food into her mouth. If it were any other day, her mother would have insulted her about it. But now, everyone—except Ferdinand—either had their eyes on Maimouna or was rushing to finish their food and leave the table. But when the first person finished, the person being Vladimir, Ferdinand raised his fork and told him to wait.

Vladimir clicked his tongue in irritation. "What is it?"

Ferdinand rolled his wrist in a dismissing manner. He looked at the quiet table. "You all know that I have a guest yet you all just don't want to acknowledge her."

Czarina heard a quiet scoff. She peered over the cup she was drinking from and saw her mother ramble something under her breath.

"Is something wrong Mrs. Rose-Velt?" she heard Maimouna ask and she jerked, the cup almost slipping out of her hand.

Reine scoffed loudly. "Yes. You. Your presence is wrong. You shouldn't be here."

"Reine she's our guest," Qlaus hissed in a quiet voice.

"She's Ferdinand's guest." Reine wiped her mouth clean with a napkin. She harshly stood, her chair making an irritating screech. She tossed the squeezed up napkin on the table and pointed an angry finger at Maimouna. Staring at her husband, she said, "I will never accept a Yumboe to eat on the same table as me. Those lowlives should know that there places are in the dirt and they don't deserve our recognition or any sort of feelings towards them."

"Reine," Fatoumata said in a warning tone.

Reine eyed Maimouna from head to toe before she walked to the door with thundering footsteps.

Before Reine could reach the door, Maimouna softly said, "wait" and she abruptly stopped walking. It was as if winter suddenly arrived with all furiousness and intensity when she spoke, making everyone freeze—even the children. The adults held their breath as Maimouna stared at Reine, the lady standing still in front of the door. "You're wrong."

Reine turned around and snared at her. "What did you just do to me?"

"I simply told you to wait. That's all," she said with a light shrug and a smile. Her eyes slid to Czarina and Czarina stiffened as she watched the woman's eyes flicker a bright silver. "And I also said that you're wrong."

"And what has that got to do with me? Stop this at once," she said through her teeth.

"Gladly." The dark-skinned lady folded her arms. "But after I say what I have to say and prove you wrong."

"Prove me wrong?" Reine hissed. "You useless piece of—"

"Stay quiet and listen." She pressed her finger to her lips and Reine's lips slammed shut at once. She smiled and cocked her head. "Do you know that Yumboes have the ability to feel the emotions of others?" Her eyes flicked to Czarina. "And do you know that your daughter has... how should I say this... feelings for one?"

The cup that Czarina was holding slipped from her hands and fell, shattering against the ground. All eyes shifted to Czarina and she gulped, her eyes becoming wide.

"I... I... She's lying," she said, shaking her head.

Maimouna shook her head. "I'm not." Eyes moved to her and she smiled at Reine—the lady's face was partially red, her narrowed eyes on her daughter, a deep frown on her face. "So you're wrong when you said that Yumboes don't deserve the recognition of humans because we do and we're being recognized." She frowned deeply. "So don't ever call us lowlives because if we are, then so are you." Her smile returned and she waved her hand.