Chapter 17 Broken Needle

A/N: Shout-out to the amazing FLCLDude (FoolyCoolyDude) and my beloved, favourite artist, MrDisease for buying me the ko-fis I drank all through this chapter! I cannot even begin to describe how thankful I am from the bottom of my heart. Wishing you both the best now and always ^^ <3 

Kate could not remember the last time she had felt so at peace.

Although the mattress on which she was lying was very hard and would possibly be considered uncomfortable, her muscles had simply surrendered to the warm embrace of the shelter she had found, without caring in the slightest about how she got there. It was refreshingly warm, calm and comfortable and the little voice that accompanied her from the moment she woke up alone and without memories in those hellish caves, whispered softly in her ear that she can be lazy for a little while longer. Another voice, of course, was pushing indistinct and tiring questions in the back of her mind: how did she get here? She doesn't remember lying down nor falling asleep.

Kate pushed her away; she didn't want to busy herself with those unimportant matters at the moment and simply bask at the heaviness of her limbs and the steadiness of her breath as her consciousness slipped on and off. It would be seconds before she'd be pulled into another refreshingly deep sleep and she was not going to miss it for the world.

Warm, gloved hands come to rest upon her shoulders as a familiar presence kneels beside her and a voice she had grown so fond of over the years calls out above her; alas, his voice is but a comfortable whisper she can not really make out over the lethargic state she was in.

'Kate' he whispered suddenly, voice serious but worried, an emotion she knew he didn't express very often 'Wake up.'

Her body shook a little harsher than she expected; alertness infiltrated her mind like a flash of lightning on a dark night and she realized that despite the warmth, she was lying against a heavy, unyielding surface that hurt. Truly. She didn't remember falling asleep at all, rather the last thing she remembered was watching ______ go off into the night and then she was here. Above her, Hoody's voice comes out more urgently and loudly; as she opens her eyes to stare up at the male kneeling beside her, the movement triggers something painful in her head and a loud exclaim of pain escapes her lips before she was able to drown it.

'Careful; you have lost blood.' He gently wraps his hands around her smaller frame and she is pulled against a sturdy chest as the man comfortably sets her on a sitting position, his hands grabbing a hold of her head and raising it.

Blinking the haze of sleep and pain away, Kate groans as Hoody's fingers trace the back of her wet head and she is lucid enough to know that this wasn't water. Not if she judged by the metallic aroma emanating from all around them, not the drops of red over the freshly fallen snow; how on earth was she warm when there was snow all over?

'You have a head trauma' Hoody makes her focus on something steady as she wavers back and forth 'The cold helped a lot to keep the swelling away and the bleeding has stopped.' He muses, only to receive another painful moan.

'What happened?' she asks and her voice is alien even to herself.

'I was going to ask the same question.'

Kate blinks and tries to recollect her few scattered memories from yesterday 'I was keeping watch with ______, when I saw her leave with another Proxy and before I had the chance to follow her... something got me.'

Hoody nods '_____ is gone. We cannot find her.'

Kate curses under her breath 'Did she bolt again? Fucking hell.'

'No, I do not think she did.' Hoody nods seriously 'Toby and Tim are looking for her; when you did not come back last night, I knew something was off. Someone knows about our plans.'