Chapter 6 No Reflection

Trembling.

All you could focus upon, was the constant trembling of your hands as you desperately tried to reach out for the faint, almost non-existent drops of water cascading the bereft and cold stone walls. Everything was dark, save for the single ray of sunshine breaking in through a small crack on the ceiling, allowing the small ray to infiltrate the nightmarish place and offer you just the necessary light to make out faint details around you.

Not that you needed it; not that it mattered. All that mattered, all that consisted of the whole wide world right now, was for you to reach that nauseatingly loud but oh so alluring drops of water that would be heaven, no godly, for your parched lips. Nothing else mattered, not your broken fingers desperately reaching out nor the excruciating pain emanating from every single fiber of your existence; all that mattered, above your life, above everything that you once loved and cherished like nothing else, was to reach those drops and clench the horrifying thirst that was eating away at your intestines like wildfire does to a forest. Scorching, blindingly fast and intense; leaving you unable to do anything more but survive at any cost.

One could think that blood would have done the trick; in such copious amounts that infiltrated your mouth, one would have thought that when the pain lessened, it would be deemed enough to clench any thirst. But people frequently forget that blood tastes like salt and rust and metal and it does nothing but trigger the beast; you knew, oh you knew so well when you leaned down at the pool of your own blood and drank and choked and vomited it all back out that there was no better thing than water. That was the first days; when you really thought there was going to be a way out of this hell. That your brains and your instinct alone would be enough for you to outsmart the devil himself and grand you freedom; how naïve can one mere human get?

Oh, how wrong had you been.

Now, escape was nothing but a crumbled dream turned to utter ash inside your mind and you were left just a bag of shattered bones and blooded skin on the cold floor that offered no comfort. Now, you were barely hanging on to life itself and the voices of the people from beyond were luring you in, calling out your name in the dead of the night, trying desperately to get you to follow them. Leave behind the torture and the pain _____, give in, just close your eyes and everything will be gone in just a mere heartbeat. It would be as easy as falling asleep at night and you'd wake up to grand meadows of the most grandiose grass and forest and flowers. You'd once again be free to enjoy the cold wind on your skin and the touch of the sun kissing your closed eyelids with the tenderness of a forbidden lover and you would be free to enjoy all the pleasures life had taken away from you in such cruel way.

It will hurt no more.

You'll no longer have to feel your bones cracking and healing painfully back up, an eternal loop no mortal had ever gone through in the span of so few days. Paining you so numbingly, that awareness was only kept by the scorching pain emanating from the symbol deeply engraved on your skin. It burnt you with the power of a hundred suns, dulling all else and leaving you pure instinct and screams.

You won't have to crawl your way towards salvation, broken beyond recognition and managing to move not even an inch, dragging your legs along like they were nothing but a bag of dusted bones.

Those same legs that once whispered dangerous vows of salvation.

~

It feels as if you are flying.

Maybe you literally are by the way your legs eject your body forward as if your weight was feather-like and the need to step down only comes once in a long while. Heartbeat is pounding like a drum against your ears and your breaths come out ragged and stressed as you dash your way away from the three nightmares behind you and into the darkness of a night that promised salvation.