Chapter 1 Are You The Rabbit?

Everything's going to be fine ______. You're okay, everything's okay, you're not going insane. Everything's okay. You're not one step away from a fly over the cuckoo's nest... maybe you're two steps away...

It was a difficult feat to keep your hands freaking steady, gripping the steering wheel with so much force, your knuckles turned white and your heart pounded heavily inside your chest. (E/c) orbs never strayed from the wide road ahead of you, but every now and then you stole a small glimpse towards the mirrors of the car, making sure nobody was following you and the road was as deserted as you liked it to be. Exactly like your heart. Nothing was better than a completely empty highway to instill some sense of security, like a shoot-up drug straight to your veins; yet were you absolutely sure you were alone? The vast and shadowy forest surrounding the said highway was suspiciously empty and misty; silvery veils of morning humidity lingered still among the rich flora and the sun was still hidden perfectly behind a thick wall of ominous purple clouds, enabling the shadows to take permanent refuge near the tree trunks. A perfect hiding spot for fuckers with enough ill will; truth be told, if you were trying to get to someone, you'd hide among them yourself. Still, you were safe. You are safe and you left everything behind you. This was going to be your safe haven. It must be.

Reaching towards the radio, you turn it on, allowing the deep and haunting voice of Marilyn Manson flood the small vehicle and distract you from your paranoid thoughts threatening to throw you out of balance. Instead, listening to music was good, it helped you level your heartbeat and ease your anxiety –or at least that's what the psychologist said every single damn time you visited her for your weekly sessions, like you placed her on constant repeat of utter- no! No, she was trying to help you through this hell, calm down...

She was the one to suggest moving out of the city of St. Louis and to the rural town of I-don't-even-know-where-the-hell-it-is-on-the-map Potosi in Missouri and now here you are, on the highway leading to literally nowhere –or possibly to lost Atlantis–, ready to begin anew, far, far away from the horrors you encountered in the city. Boy oh boy...

Life was rather easy for you from your very early years. Growing up in a loving home, protected and cherished by your parents and siblings gave you everything you wanted to grow up as a healthy adult, capable to hold your own against the crude and bloodsucking world we all love to hate. Graduating at the top of your class, you chased after your life-dream of becoming a credited journalist and true enough, at the age of twenty-one you got your very first job on a local St. Louis newspaper, Daily Prophet (A/n: I saw the opportunity and I grabbed it XD) as the right hand of the chief editor nine months ago. Everything was perfect until a few months ago when the nightmares started and shit got too real.

'I was going to sleep that night, as usual, after preparing the article for the two disappearances happening in the most notorious part of the city. Shady stuff; two folks had gone missing out of thin air and nobody was neither capable nor willing enough to find them. The editor was curious, but not too much and I needed the extra credit so I picked up the article. It was around 3.00am so I went to bed as usual and dropped like a freaking log and was out like a light. I.... um... I didn't dream...I mean, I do know we all dream and when we think we don't, it's simply because we don't remember them, but I, um, I'm pretty sure the darkness I found myself in was... rather strange.'

'How would you describe that darkness?' miss Roxanne asks.

Fiddling with your sleeves, you cast your eyes to the side 'Suffocating. Watchful. Haunting. I wanted to get out but there was no way out. Only a symbol... that cursed symbol....'