Chapter Twelve: The Yule Ball

Start from the beginning

On Christmas morning, Gwen was the first of her roommates to wake up. It was 5:30 in the morning, and she was wide awake. This gave Gwen plenty of time to finish setting up her last minute Christmas gifts. Gwen while she did not think of herself as an amazing gift giver did try to put a lot of thought and heart into presents. She had sent her parents and Duncan heartfelt letters and made a family photo album. She had gotten her sister Freya a quill that writes as you dictate, so she could write her newspaper articles faster. She had gotten each of her friends their favorite candy from Honeydukes and paired it with either a letter or a framed photo.

There was still one person Gwen didn't have a gift for, Draco. She wasn't even sure it was appropriate to get him something. They weren't even supposed to be friends, let alone whatever they were. His gift had stumped her for so long. Nothing she could think of felt personal enough to her. They didn't have any pictures together. They didn't have many shared memories outside of "study sessions" she could capitalize on. Everyone else was easy, but what do you get a boy who can afford to buy whatever they want. She decided to start with a letter.

My favorite star,

Happy Christmas! I didn't know if you were planning to get me anything for Christmas, and it's fine if you don't, but I felt like I had to at least get you a little something. I added in some candy from Honeydukes. I didn't know which is your favorite so there's a little bit of everything. I want you to know how much I appreciate you. I'm glad to know you. Selfishly I'm kinda glad you are horrid at transfigurations, or I would never have seen the real you. I know you put up a hard exterior even around me, but I know you care.

Fondly,

Thatcher

Gwen finished the letter with a heart next to her name. She charmed her signature so it would only show to its intended reader. She then folded it and placed it neatly inside an envelope addressed to Malfoy. She spritzed the envelope with her perfume. The letter now held the distinct smell of Vanilla and Roses.

She wished her gift could have been more personal, but Draco was so reserved he barely showed any emotion wasn't disdain. Gwen ran up to the owlery and instructed her owl to deliver the letter to Draco.

When Gwen had returned back to the common room most of the students were awake. The common room had been decorated with holly and ivy all over the walls. The smell of fresh baked bread was replaced with the smell of Christmas cookies. The room sparkled with Christmas ornaments and trinkets. Hannah, Ernie, Justin, Cedric, and James were all sitting in the center of the room with a pile full of presents in their laps.

"Merry Christmas!" Gwen said as she joined her friends. Her presents has also been brought into the room by Hannah.

"Merry Christmas!" The chorus of friends replied.

"I hope you didn't start opening gifts without me." Gwen looked at her stack of presents.

"No, we were waiting for you." Hannah smiled.

"Okay, well can we start now?" James whined impatiently.

"It's amazing you're a seventh year and more excited about Christmas than the first years." Cedric joked.

"You're point is?" James started pulling at the edges of his gifts. Cedric rolled his eyes.

"3...2...1...Go!" Cedric counted down and they all began tearing open the letters and presents violently. Wrapping paper was flying around them.

At the end of about ten minutes of paper ripping around them they each had candy and small gifts littered around them. Once all the wrapping was off they began to appreciate the gifts that they had each received.